The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this? Empty
PostSubject: Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?   Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi folks Smile

First of all I am not the original creator of this idea nor do I take any credit for this plot but I DO have permision from the author to go on and use it on my own. We started this (though it didn't get past the introduction posts) and (s)he had to drop it. I believe there is a lot of prospect in this idea and would just hate to let it die. I know it's a bit tough to pick up an already created concept for a character but I would very much appreciate it if someone did.

SO... here's the story line:

"[V]ague notions of a solemn antihero, a self-righteous heroine, political intrigue, and a touch of magic and prophecy.

[Evelyn is] an unwed woman of good standing, whose guardian happens to be a duke and subject king? Though my knowledge of medieval England is too sparse to actually set the story there, we could at the very least base the geography and social mores off of English history. In this world, unbelievable things do sometimes happen, but it's not exactly commonplace. People don't run about buying rare herbs and animal bits for witchcraft and devilry exactly, but they are exceedingly superstitious, and rumors do fly about men and women who perform physics-defying feats, but always off in 'some neighboring settlement,' and no one ever seems to be in direct acquaintance with such a great man or woman.

This duke and subject king is just such a man, however. He prays not to God--and I think it would be an interesting twist on your typical roleplay, to leave Christianity as the de facto religion in this fictional land--but to devils, and for his blasphemy he is rewarded with certain abilities. By force, he took over the duchy he now holds, and he slew the heroine's family, but kept her, from a very young age, as his own daughter. Perhaps it was an attempt to ease the loneliness in his heart and to continue his legacy. Or maybe there is something special about this young woman that made him unwilling to part with her.

As I mentioned before, he is a subject king, and this means he pays tribute and fealty to another king, a high king of the land, a devoutly spiritual man who has ignored the dark rumors passing out of this particular duchy for as long as he can. He has decided to act by sending one of his knights directly into the heart of the matter to get to the bottom of things. What the high king does not know is that his dispatched knight is easily corruptible, and does not hold the interests of the kingdom highest in his heart. This is not a secret to anyone but the high king, who is as compassionate and merciful as he is gullible.

The knight travels without the comforts of wealth and nobility, as his king commands, and his party is delayed by a storm in the woods, just a few miles short of their destination. There is a clap of thunder, a flash of light, and then all goes quiet in the woods. When day breaks over their small encampment, the men have all gone, vanished into nothing, save one, lying naked and unconscious in a clearing. This is how our heroine meets the man she will come to know as Sir Drystam.

[The] heroine's foster father is up to his eyeballs in evil juju and about to lose control of it all, which is essentially going to let loose all kinds of ancient badassery that's gonna ravage the land. You got your plague, your famine, your pestilence. All that good stuff. And the daughter keeps "seeing" this apocalyptic future, but she doesn't understand what's going on. And then this infamously crooked knight shows up and tells her, in about as many words, that she's gonna have to off Daddy. "

Ok so during the storm that brings about the lighting, the original knight is essentially killed. His body is saved and replaced by celestial sort of entity. My character is Evelyn so I'm looking for some one to play the Knight. This shelled 'angel' sort of being doesn't have any over the top powers while incased in the human shell (definately no wings for this rp) but he does have more knowledge than an average man should know and for fun purposes retains some small fragment of his abilities... I'll allow one skill or trait or gif or whatever you want to call it... but remember he is limited while on the human plane. I don't want him to be uber/god like you know?

Also, he is supposed to try and blend in so he will try to carry on as the real knight with perhaps a major personality change than the easily corruptable greedy fellow the original one was.

I'm thinking the minimal list of playing characters would be:

Sir Drystam
Evelyn
Evelyn's Foster Father
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?   Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Here are the two posts that serve as an introduction. The one in blue is concerning the knight, the other is mine. This is where we would be starting from.

It had always been his intention to banish the knight whose skin he would don like a suit of armor, for there could be no other way to assume his identity, and his soul was tainted with corruptions, besides. The others, though, were an accident; a miscalculation of velocity and inertia and his own limited capabilities. He had underestimated the force of his entry to the material plane, and overestimated himself, and the price was a handful of lives, belonging to men both evil and righteous alike, and it was only by the grace of a shocked and frenzied afterthought that he shielded the knight's body from the blast.

When the wind had all but died and the remaining light from across the gloom was fading, he lifted his head. All trace of the travelers had been erased from the small clearing, down to the beasts that had carried them, down to their very bones. All that remained was this one mortal shell, its clothes peeled and burned away, naked and vulnerable to the elements.

This is Sir Drystam, he thought, and studied the vessel dispassionately, as men often watched themselves in the looking glass. It was a young body, not yet thirty years, scarred and hardened by physical labors. It was a warrior's body, with a warrior's face, sharp and cold and scored with lines of exhaustion in the corners of the mouth, beneath the eyes. Unruly hair, dark as freshly tilled soil, and skin weathered by sun and wind and battle. It was a good vessel, healthy and strong, which was more than he could say for the recently departed soul.

He put his hand on the still-warm chest, sank his fingers beneath the skin and wrapped them around the fist-sized muscle. He squeezed it once, the whole body gave a jerk, and in the span of a single moment, he had followed in the Father's enormous footsteps.

He brought life to Man.

It was more than he'd ever done before--killing a host of humans, crossing the ephah, breathing life into a man--and yet there was one more first in store for him before the night was through. Settling down into his chosen vessel, for the first time since Creation, Gazardiel went to sleep.

There had been little sleep for her the previous night. The occurrence wasn't rare of late, and though part of her thought her body would have grown used to things by now, it hadn't. Often enough she found herself being jerked awake late at night by visions too upsetting for her to even tell anyone of them. Truth be told, all that Evelyn could remember of them were mere images, quick visions that left her perturbed the rest of the night and unable to regain any rest.

This last time she had awakened with a start as lightning flashed outside her window. The clash of roaring thunder following soon after suggested the bolt itself had been close by, but to Evelyn, it might as well have been a distant echo. All she heard was the heavy panting of her own breath and the loud pounding of her heart. The sense of fear and desperation that raced through her then had seemed all too vivid, and though the young woman eventually laid back down to rest her eyes and mind remained open and alert.

Now daybreak had come, and she sought refuge in the one activity that rushed life back into her veins. The cool, crisp, air brushed against her cheeks as she pushed her brown mare forward in a gentle trot across the clearing. The smell of wet dirt mixed with the natural scent of the trees was a prominent reminder of the night's storm; as was the hint of charred wood from where she supposed lightning had struck. Despite that last fact, at that particular moment, Evelyn found peace.

Gloved hands pulled back on the reins, guiding the mare sideways as she approached the tree line. A few more steps brought the animal to a stop. The mare nickered and shook her head reminding Evelyn to lean forward and gently pat the beasts neck. "Ssh... Darling." She spoke in reassuring tones, "everything is fine."

Grayish blue eyes studied the trees for a moment as she pondered venturing into the forest. Evelyn was already five and twenty and it was her opinion that she should have been able to make her own decisions as to the things she could or could not do. Unfortunately that was not the way things were, and her Father had only indulged her morning rides under the condition that she did not venture past the clearing.

She hated feeling like a child, but she had much to be grateful for to the man that had raised her and did not wish to attract his anger. He had been just with her, but there had been plenty of times she had seen him lose his temper towards another and the heat in his eyes had caused her pause. The blonde supposed that all men were prone to anger, but she had no wish to provoke his.

Turning her head to look back towards the manor, Evelyn pondered taking a chance this once. Sometimes, she could almost swear she could feel a pair of eyes watching her from behind. It was the sort of sensation that made her want to reach back and scratch her back in the most unlady like way, but for now she had no such feelings. So, with a gentle tug Evelyn steered Darling into the forest. Curiosity moved her forward, perhaps she would even find the spot where lightning had struck the night before.
Back to top Go down
Azmodai2
Hatchling
Hatchling
Azmodai2

PostSubject: Re: Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?   Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 pm

I would be interested in playing the Knight Smile PM me if you think it'll work, I like the premise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?   Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any chance anyone (or two) would be interested in this?
Page 1 of 1