The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Asthera Land of Magic

Go down 
+2
OddandOdd
rpannier
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
rpannier
Hatchling
Hatchling

Asthera Land of Magic Empty
PostSubject: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm

The dawn had broke red this morning over the town of Summerset, and ships had been setting into port all day. not just the usual smugglers, and pirates either, but even some small fishing ships, and the small, fast couriers used to move letters, passengers, and light cargo, along the cost-way; ships that would normally avoid such a place due to it's rubble choked cove, and disreputable nature. This leaves the streets, and inns far more crowded than usual, and already only a few hours past mid-day, there have been more thieving, drinking, and brawling, than the city would see on it's most busy nights.

As the sun slips westerly in the sky, clouds begin to boil and role on the sea's horizon. Clouds edged with violet, with hearts of dark gray that defy the light of the sun, yet flicker with their own inner fury. As the first peals of distant thunder echo across the ramshackle streets of Summerset the people start moving with great hast. Oil lamps are brought in from door hangers, windows are shuttered, merchants stalls are being taken down, wagons covered, and securely fastened with strong rope, and waterproof cloth, the ships in dock begin running in their sails, and tying down rigging.

even at this distance the wildlings of the city feel a pressure building in their ears, filling them with a nervous energy. The innkeepers, barkeeps, and publicans of Summerset, knowing the signs well, begin watering their stews, and drinks, and upping their costs to squeeze everything they can from the storm to come.

The Blind Basilisk Inn is one of the most prospers businesses in Summerset, and has been even before the city fell on hard times. a three story bar, and inn; it is a place know for brewing their own beer, and distilling their own spirits, both of respectable strength; for serving pillowy bread, with a thick crusts, and cooking with meat other than fish. All in all, it is a place well liked by those who are accustomed to spending long weeks at sea, and always sees a larger than normal crowd. Today it is already doing a brisk business, and the sun hasn't even touched the western horizon, by nightfall the place should be packed to bursting.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm

The old hermit chuckled an old laugh, just outside the inn he began to hawk, "Come one come all!! The ever so magnificent Doctor of the woods has done it again! I have found a newer more powerful cure for whatever ales you! I now present to you: Atropa's love!!"

'He'd done it again!' Loraine thought as she sat in the back, a rather large gathering of people surrounding and aweing at her masters finesse. 'I'm never going to be that good!' Her role was never as important as his, but it must have been vital to a degree; she was just to sit on the crate and make sure people didn't run off with it. It didn't seem like much to her 'we can always make more in a few hours' but he made it seem like the biggest honor one could ever have.

"Darlin', I say darlin'!" He'd told her before, wagging his finger and prancing about "without you and your precious little weight, I was once limited to the earth under that very crate! But now look at me! For now I can approach! I can emote! I can move and add dynamic to my sale! Without you I would be just another face shouting, or worse! A shadow behind a stall! But now I am free! Free to show the world the power of my cures as more then a faceless mouth!"

His enthusiasm never died unlike so many others, even now he was explaining to the world, "The alluring power, the pain reliving elixir, and for the daring men; an ingredient to make the most potent brew you'll ever have in your life!"

This was always the best time to sell; the gentle hum in her feather told her all she needed to know. A storm, and a big one too, was on it's way.

'I can only hope there's enough time to get some sweets before it starts...' she thought as she relaxed watching the citizens of the town hand many a coin to her mentors boney hands.
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Amirriah and Janna weaved in and out of the crowd with their few remaining wares, back towards home in retreat from the coming storm. They had already sold most of their blankets and vegetables in the brief period they had been at their small stall to those who were preparing for the oncoming storm. Amirriah had always had mixed feeling about rain. She liked it because it helped her plants grow, but heavy storm always seemed to ruin her beautiful garden.

"Come one come all!! The ever so magnificent Doctor of the woods has done it again! I have found a newer more powerful cure for whatever ales you! I now present to you: Atropa's love!!" Amirriah heard being shouted over the bustling crowd. A group of people were gathering around a dirty, scrawny man shouting about his "Magical" elixir.

Amirriah just pushed past the growing crowd. "Poor fools," she scoffed as she and Janna moved around the man and crowd to the inn's entrance. 'Nothing but piss water and arsenic.' Amirriah thought, remembering when Janna had fallen for the man's spiel and she spent five weeks purging Janna's body of the toxic liquid.

The two women entered the inn. One of the inn keep's daughters took them to the kitchen. They traded the rest of the vegetables and a few light blankets for several sweets and a few bottles of spirits before exiting out the back and back tot the street through an alleyway.

The man was still out front shouting and selling his poison. Amirriah had half a mind to go up and confront the man on his fraud, but thought best not to make a scene. They stared back home until Amirriah caught sight of the man's young apprentice. She was handing the man the bottles of toxin from a crate. Her heart aced for the poor girl.
Back to top Go down
rpannier
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 9:33 pm

The storm rolled in quickly. The sky darkened, the black and grey rode the fever pitched winds in the sky overwhelmed the red as it seized control. The birds disappeared from the area flying as far from the merciless storm as possible. The animals that couldn't fly took refuge wherever they could find haven. The storm always wouldn't last long, they never did, six hours was typical, but it's damage was always severe. 'A Chaser' these kinds of storms were called, as they chased everything from the sky and ground. Chaser's were also referred to as 'Storms of the Dead' because they only seemed to strike at or just before night and usually by morning they were gone. Leaving their merciless devastation in their wake.

By now most of the businesses' were closed, their windows boarded, the proprietors either at home or settling in for a night at an inn or brothel. A few merchants waited as long as they could before closing, hoping to rake in a few extra coin. When the first patters of rain hit they quickly closed and locked.

The rain was falling, growing harder with the winds. Soon the brunt of the 'Chaser' would be felt. Within an hour the gates to the city would close until the storm passed.
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Amirriah and Janna Had made it home just as the rain began to poor. They closed up the windows and started a small fire in the fireplace to keep warm. A few stragglers still suck in the storm were invited in to wait out the wretched weather. Amirriah made a thin soup to warm everyone as Janna helped make small pallets on the floor.

The storm shook the small house. The windows rattled; the roof shuddered. It was hard to get any rest. Amirriah and Janna stayed in the small living-room for the Chaser. They lie on the hard floor with their few guest for the night, attempting sleep. They would all be on the verge of unconsciousness, then a crash of lighting and a boom of thunder would shake the house.

Amirriah, in her weary mind, could only seem to think of her poor garden taking a beating. It would take her days-- weeks-- to get everything growing back properly. She began to drift off again, her mind finally wandering. She thought of the young girl with that deceitful hermit that had been in front of The Blind Basilisk. A brief thought of worry for the poor, clueless, innocent girl crossed her mind before she was jolted by a crash thunder.

Out of no where there came a pounding on the door. Amirriah brushed it off as the wind rattling the house, until the pounding came again, harder and louder. Amirriah stood and went to the door, grabbing her dagger just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 pm

"Bah! Our home's to far!! I here this here women lets in folk though....eheeheh..."

The storm in full effect, tossing things this way and that, and Loraine barely even noticed it; so used to storms and used to the lighting that was attracted and always tried to hit her.

"I don't think this lady will like us."

"And what gives you the right to think?"

"Well she is the one who keeps muttering something about how horrible it is."

"Shaddaup! You woman are all stupid creatures! Now hush! Some ones here!"

He put on his mask of friendliness and explained to the lady, Joanna?, about their circumstance. Not particularly listening she walked right in and went over to the lady from before. There was no hope in getting her to use the stuff, but maybe mentioning what it was made of will make for good conversation? She did seem to be a gardener. Gardeners know cool stuff.

Smiling away at her good plan she said, "It's not actually Arsinic and Piss water; It's Atropa Belladonna and moonshine." Smile, Smile, maybe will she know how to grow it? Smile, Smile, maybe even find a new use? Smile, Smile, maybe even tell her other cool stuff she could grow?
Back to top Go down
desertedalley
Hatchling
Hatchling
desertedalley

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Honoka clutches the base of her tunic and pulls down. The wind is picking up speed and blows the hem upward. She glances left and right, then behind her to see if anyone is following, or watching. It would not be the first time she had a gawker, or a man hoping to get some from 'the pretty little girly'... or worse a slaver or a brothel owner seeing big money to be had from her 'sweet, nimble, body.'. Seeing no one in sight she continues her trek through the muddy road; the wind howling, rain filling her hair and covering her meager garments. She shivers as she walks. She isn't sure where she is or where she's headed. At the last cross in the road, several stone throws back, there was a signpost. Unfortunately the direction markers had all fallen and were strewn about the ground. Honoka didn't know all the towns and villages listed. But, one she knew one quite well, 'Summerset.' That is a place she definitely wants to avoid. The number of slavers and criminals that travel through or live there might make her a wanting target. The fear she might run into the slavers she's trying to avoid chills her more so than the cold wind and rain.
In the distance she can make out lights. She also feels salt in the wind and rain, "Must be an ocean or sea." She mutters to herself. As she trudges along the road, closer to the town she can begin to appreciate how large of a city it must be; a high wall, towers, the lights, etc. She picks up her pace, night has fallen and she can't take a chance that the city gates will be locked before she gets there. She stops at a sign, her hopeful feeling droops into a feeling of hopelessness, "Summerset!" Honoka sighs. The place she has been trying to avoid.
"I must be cursed!" Honoka spits. She looks around trying to decide what to do. She really has no choice; the wind, the rain, it's almost evening and she has to move on into the town, even if it's just for the night. Again she pulls down on her tunic and walks toward the town, doing her best not to attract attention on the road, while also keeping a close eye out for bandits or slavers.
Entering the town doesn't bring much relief to her. It's better lit than the outside, so she is less likely to be caught unaware. But it's still Summerset; The haven for any man or woman who has a few sheckels in their purse, where your past is just that - your past. Her senses heightened, she ties her coin purse tightly to her dagger, the hilt gripped in her left hand, while her right chokes her walking stick, she slogs through the town, avoiding interaction with any people until she sees an inn.
Honoka stops and listens, it sounds like a lively place, maybe too lively. In the background, from some place near, she hears the drums of thunder and the rain quickens, there isn't much of an alternative. She is cold, wet and tired. She bounces her coin bag in her hand, there's enough to stay for a day or two, but it would leave her with almost nothing. She really has no choice - she never seems to have one. She slowly and carefully enters.

From the moment she enters her senses are assaulted by the smell of liquor, sweat and sickness. The bar is mostly men and most of them are pretty drunk. It doesn't surprise her, "What else would evil do when the weather isn't fit for man nor beast?" Several look over at her, she makes an effort not to make eye contact with them, but at the same time not appear that she is avoiding them, "Nothing makes you a target like appearing scared." She can see a fire in the room, but there are so many people standing around it, Honoka decides it's best to steer clear and just drip dry near the exit and wait for the storm to pass.
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:32 am

Ventora walked through the streets. Looking for an easy mark. He saw the crowd of people gathered around a person selling his 'Miracle Potion' The crowd around him was rather large though. And large crowds made for easy pickings. He walked into the bustling group of people, letting his small knife slide from his sleeve, he would walk by someone with a fat enough coin purse, slice the string holding it there, take it and walk on as if nothing happened. He did this a few times, until his little bag had several in there.

He slipped out of the crowd when he heard the thunder, people started running all different ways. Shopkeepers boarding up for the night, and others running around gathering their items to keep them safe. He looked at the sky, it was quickly getting darker. He made for the inn, smiled at the familiar barkeep, and was given a drink. "On the house for the guild sir." Ventora only smiled and sat in the dark corner, away from the fire as the rain started coming down hard. Storm like this will have the inn full of people. Today was beginning to look very profitable to him.

He was right, the inn was full of people, drunken people all around still drinking. Nothing too interseting except some people who would be going home a few extra coins lighter, Until he saw the girl sneak in and stay by the exit, trying to get dry, and avoid attention.
Back to top Go down
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Indecisive_Gamers/index.php?act=idx
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Jonna set up two more pallets for their new guest. Amirriah wasn't too happy to have that crook under her roof, but she was far too nice to turn them away. She sat on her mat by the fire place and was tossing a little more wood into the fire when the young girl came over to her.

Now Amirriah was never really one for violent outburst of rage, but the moment the words "Atropa Belladonna" left the girls mouth she wanted to ring the hermit's neck. The poor girl obviously had no idea what she just said by her blissfully ignorant smile.That man was blatantly poisoning people, and he had dragged that innocent girl into to it as well.

Amirriah forced a smile as she quietly spoke to the girl. Maybe she could talk some sense into the poor child. "Now that won't help anyone, sweetie. Yes, moonshine helps to temporarily numb a little pain, but too much is not all that good for the body. Atropa Belladonna isn't particularly good either."
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:39 pm

"It won't?" Loraine said in genuine confusion, "But I've seen the people master brings in and tests them all on. The effects seem to work..."

The hermit heard this conversation and started glaring daggers at his charge. Of course her never ending stupidity and curiosity were getting them in trouble.

"But if he's lying...does that mean the people sleeping in the back are lying too?"

"Oh hell." he muttered as he approached the two.

"I've seen them, they've been snoozing there for a very, very long time! They don't bath and they all smell funny! I even kicked one over one day, 'cause he said he needed to get the cure for his family but never left, and his tummy was all covered in worms."

By this point he was right behind the girl slowly lifting his cane in the air.

"But if you say it's a lie, I believe you! You're a gardener! You know stuff! In fact I want to go talk to the bar master! He visits when we make the moon shine and he always tells me funny stories and fighting with master! Goodbye!"

At this the hermit tried to crush her skull with his barely remaining earth based strength, but it was to late. She darted by without even noticing the attack rushing outside into the fierce night.

Fearlessly she darted through the streets to the bar, not even when lightning touched down at her feet, and barreled on in through the doors, static crackling at her heels.
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Without thinking Amirriah jumped up and put the man in a troat crushing head lock, ready to snap his neck if need be. The other guest gasped and gaped at her. As the man strugled for air Amirriah muttered in his ear, "Get out of my house. And if you so much as misplace a single hair on that poor girl's head i will not hesitate to burry you alive." With that she let him go and shove him to the door. As he left Amirriah prepared to go looking for the girl.

Amirriah pulled on her cloak and grabbed her staff and went out to brave the storm. The girl had said she was going to the bar. Amirriah made her way through the wind and rain to the bar. As she was coming close she noticed the pecurliar amout of lighting. She comtinplated it for a moment as she entered the bar.

She stood in the doorway for a moment dripping wet. Her eyes scaned the room for the girl.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:11 pm

The Bar master sighed and laughed a bit when Loraine rushed in, bringing In water, and the spare bit of electricity she attracted. He had never liked the idea of the hermit taking her in after her folks died. How many years ago had it been...?

But there was still business happening, "Loraine; find a seat. I'll talk to you in a minute. I still have a few drinks to serve!"

Will a quick salute and a "Yes Sir!" She glanced around the room looking for a spot; zooming in on one near a person she saw on a semi regular basis.

Having no sense of judging ones character, she got up on the stool next to the thief that stole from the crowds. It was because she remembered him, she thought he looked friendly, if lonely, and because unlike many thieves he had never tried to bother her.

Was it because of the crowd? Was it because of the strange place the money was tied on to her; on the front of the large neck covering metal collar? Or was it because he was smart and noticed that when ever a thief tried to grab her before, whether for her, the money, or 'remedies' that they would get a nasty jolt of electricity for their troubles...?

Who knows. He has his bubbly, and she now has her half spoiled milk. Life was good, and if what the hermit said was true, to get her 'permanent' 'passive' 'unconscious' guard shock powers ("That sting like hell fire and nag like a B***** for days!!" she remembered him yelling) the cost was only 'permanently' losing her 'focus.' "Scrabbled like an egg for life!!" he laughed.

Whatever that was.

She shrugged to the air, and began to drink her drink; she even saw the nice gardener lady in there! Loraine wondered if she like half spoiled milk to. So she waved at her.
Back to top Go down
rpannier
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 pm

The storm seeps in quicker, becoming more violent as it does. Carts, weak structures and debris are listed from where they lay and are carried by the winds, heavier items quickly and in questionable condition, lighter and more flimsy items carried great distances.

Air Elemental:
Your senses are heightening. Your hearing is becoming most acute. You can hear the winds rampaging through the area. The sounds of animals, the words of people caught in the storm carry through them like you're standing with them. You can hear boats creak, the waves crash against the rocks. The sounds grow louder as the storm whips towards it's peak (in a few hours). The storm also clouds your mind, it gives you a similar feeling to being slightly drunk.

Blind Basilisk:
A boy of about 13 rushes in and works his way through the crowd to the bar keep. He signals to the man to bend his ear closer. The boy whispers into his ear and darts away not waiting for a response.
"Alright you three!" he yells at three men sitting near the fire. "Outta those seats. They're taken."
The men sit staring uncertain as to why they have to move; they've been sitting there for an hour and no one seems to want them.
The doors to the Blind Basilisk open again and two large men dressed in black enter. Their mouths and noses are covered, they carry large swords. They say nothing to anyone. They mow through the patrons (the patrons that don't scurry to make room fast enough) toward the table.
The three men seeing the two large sworded men break for the bar quickly. The bar goes a little quieter as the men settle in front of the table. The eyes of most of the patrons swing toward the door waiting.
It doesn't take long, two more men dressed like the first pair enter, after is a man dressed in merchants garb carrying an abacus, behind him is whom the inn has been silently waiting. The man enters the people part to give the group room. Without saying a word he moves quickly toward the table. He sits with his back against the wall. The man with the abacus sits to his left, closest to the fire. The two men position on either side of the door.
A young waitress stands next to him awaiting his instructions. The inn returns to it's revelry.

For people who live in the town:
The Leader is Montcrief Allond. He runs the black marketing ring in the town. He controls several of the thieves guilds. Young men and boys who aspire to be something more than a cheap cutpurse try to curry his favor.
The man with the Abacus: Asynthe Orcrelland. Montcrief's accountant and dabbler in Earth and Fire magic. It is said he can create wondrous things from the clay beneath his feet. No one has ever seen him perform any feats but his position within Allond's organization say the stories are likely true. The Fire he knows he uses to harden his earthen creations and extract information from difficult persons.
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Amirriah caught sight of the girl waving at her from the bar and sighed with relief. She weaved her way through the crowd to the girl and took a free seat by her. "You shouldn't run off into storms like that sweetie, especially Chasers. You could seriously get yourself killed it this weather." Amirriah smiled at the girl.

It was a little obvious the girl had some talent with air magic. Amirriah had witnessed her being a bit of an "airhead" so to speak, like the few other air mages she had come across. She was also rather talkative, another seemingly common air trait she had witnessed. Amirriah normally couldn't stand air mages for more than a few minutes, but she was taking a liking to this one.

Amirriah was about to order a drink when the young boy ran in. She watched as the first two men walked in then quick turned her back once Orcrelland walked in. She swore under her breath. "Of all the people to walk into this bar, why them?" she thought to herself. She had never been to fond of Asynthe Orcrelland and Montcrief Allond, in fact they scared her stiff.

The only thing that seem to be on Amirriah's mind was a flashback to the time she had been stupid enough to mouth off to Asynthe Orcrelland when she was very young. She was sure had her powers not saved her, Orcrelland might have killed her. She was one of the rare people to escape his wrath, though she is parannoied he might come after her again. She never told anyone one about the encounter. There was a reason the town was scared of him, and she had been a fist hand witness. She still bore the scars from the scars from the encounter years ago.

Amirriah hunched over the bar and kept her head low, trying not to be seen, praying she would turn invisible, or at the very lest the storm wold let up soon so she could leave.

Last edited by RebelAngel on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 12:33 am

He smiled at the girl as she sat next to him. "Hello potion helper. What brings you here?" He said with an absent thought. Still watching the other bar patrons. Putting his back against the wall. A new woman entered. Soaking wet and looking around. He recognized this one as a gardener, but other than that knew little of her. He knew she wouldn't approve of him if she recognized his face though.

The atmosphere changed completely when the men with the large swords came in. He sighed and looked at the girl next to him. Then back at the door. When the others started to file in he nudged her. "Think you can do me a favor? I'll pay you nicely." He said with a smile towards her. At this point Montcrief Allond and his lackey had come in and moved to their seats. Not waiting for a response from the girl he handed his bag of money to her. "You look like a nice enough sort, take this, go to the back rooms. And put this bag under the third bed. If you do, I'll pay you 10 silver pieces. And please, for both our sakes, don't run off with it" He looked at her with serious yet sad eyes at the last part. It was a large sum, but Montcrief was the leader of his Guild, but he was not about to turn all his hard earned money to him. Things like this had come to blood many times between him and the street urchins. But he thought himself much higher than a street urchin. And Ventora wasn't about to have the majority of his money stolen from him.

The barkeep had taken great pains to show Montcrief and his company the utmost service and respect. Ventora didn't look for the girl, trusting her to follow his instructions. Knowing that much money could greatly help an apprentice along. He kept only a single gold piece with him, flipping it between his fingers. As he sat as his table sipping his drink, watching the people in the inn again.

Last edited by Ezekiel on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changing)
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:57 am

When the friendly thief gave her a task she smiled and saluted with joy, "I'm on it mister!"

Money had no meaning to Loraine, but she did know it meant something to others. And when random people give you small tasks with things that matter to them, is was best to give what the hermit called...

"Co-lat-er-mal!" she happily said, as she removed her money pouch (technically the hermit's but he hadn't taken it off her) from her collar, to replace it with the thief's, handing hers over to him. Before he could say anything she jumped off the chair and pranced on over to the back.

It didn't take her long to hide the money there (she even made sure to hide it behind an old shoe; in case other thieves were around doing careless searches for other's important stuff) and returned back before anyone noticed her.

Though when she did, she noticed how the lively atmosphere dampened considerably. Must be a leak in the ceiling. Also how everyone seemed so sad, ever sense that man with the sharpened stick came in everyone was upset. Miss Gardener wasn't happy and the lady by the door looked really distressed. It was enough to make her walk slowly back to her seat, her long sleeves dragging on the floor like always hiding her little fists in mild unhappiness.

Then she hopped back onto her seat and remembered her milk. All was well!

Last edited by OddandOdd on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speeling)
Back to top Go down
desertedalley
Hatchling
Hatchling
desertedalley

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Honoka shakes her head when a passing bar wench ask her if she wants anything.
"You'll have to order something if you want to stay." she says irritated. "We are not a church."
"Anything." Honoka says shivering. "Anything warm to drink or soup."
The woman walks away quickly to help other patrons calling for her.
Honoka scans the who room. She watches everything like a cornered rabbit looking for an escape. There is a girl near the fire and next to her an older woman. They're talking about something. They don't know each other, she gathers that from the few words she's picking up. She flings her look to the bar,
"...don't run off with it" a voice instruct softly, but sternly. She doesn't know who said it and normally she wouldn't care. But it wasn't close to her.
"How did I..." the voices in the bar get louder. She looks left, then right, then left again. The dynne rises slowly, it's like the whole place just doubled in size and everyone is yelling at each other. She can hear words, but can't make out who says them or where they come from. From outside, the sounds of the wind and waves filter in mixing with the voices. She can hear a thudding noise growing louder, then several mores. The drum beat is fast and varied. A baby cry, a man yelling at a woman, voices from the docks screaming to hep get the ropes tied, a dog barks.
Honoka scratches at her arms. She can feel something itching, biting at her. She scratches harder. The whole thing is maddening.
The door opens with a thud missing her by a few inches. She stumbles sideways nearly falling. The men are blurred. Her head is pounding too hard. The sounds continue to rise, it feels as if her head will explode. The next men enter. She's shunted aside by the door guards. She slides down to the floor holding her head trying to drown out the sounds.
Then she hiccups and giggles.She looks up and no one seems to have noticed.
Back to top Go down
rpannier
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 am

"Pork, potatoes and whatever vegetables he's scrounged up. And Blue Hind for the two of us. And see that were not disturbed. I have pressing business and I don't wish to be disturbed." Allond barks to the waitress.
"Yes." she says scurrying away quickly to get his food.
Allond scans the room checking out the people, eying anybody and everybody. He seems pre-occupied.  Asynthe is also looking. They make no effort to hide their interest in what is happening around them.
"See anything Asynthe?"
"Not yet. But I can feel it."
"Yes. Feeling is one thing. Seeing is another."
The two men continue their check of the room. They make a few thinking sounds, but they don't speak.
"Over there!" Asynthe says pointing near the door. "That girl! The odd one near the door."
"Yeeesssss. Asynthe, yes. The storm appears to have taken control of her. Pretty."Allond says nodding. Allond rises and grabs one of the guards by the shoulder, pulling him in tightly. He whispers in his ear. The man merely nods. Allond releases his shoulder and the man walks over to Ventora.
"Montcrief Allond wants you." he barks staring at Ventora letting him know this wasn't a request.

"Any others my friend?" Allond queries his accountant and trusted Number 1.
"Yes. I can feel...the rage of the wind is high. There are others." Asythe eyes the inn, back-and-forth his gaze moves. He brushes his long, red hair from his eyes. "Over there. It is coming from over there. I can sense it."
Allond looks through the throng of people trying to find who it could be. As he looks the bar wench sets his food in front. "Could it be the little one with her head down?" she says pointing toward Amirriah.
Asynthe says nothing he shakes his head. "I do sense it over there. But it's not the girl near Ventora.
"Huh? Leave it to the air to sense another air." Allond says giving the wench a silver coin and a peck on the cheek. She looks at the coin and gives him an ugly stare. "Sorry my dear. Near misses, silver only. Gold is for bullseyes." he laughs giving her another quick kiss. She smiles and heads back to work.

"You're not relying only on air are you?" Asynthe whispers trying to locate the source.
"No of course not. That would be stupid. But the storm gives me opportunity. I worry though. The girl at the door looks unsettled."
"The power of the storm. It messes with the heads and bodies of Air mages. They all react differently. Judging by her antics, it'll likely get more fierce." Asynthe says still eyeballing where Amirriah is sitting.
"Problem my friend?"
"No. Maybe. I wonder... I can't tell." he sits back down. "I thought I had seen her before. She looks like she's avoiding us, trying to hide."
"Likely scared. I mean... I am Montcrief Allond. And you are Asynthe Orcrelland. That's pretty damned intimidating."
"I don't know. It's just..."
"Well, when we meet her we'll know." Allond begins eating. Asynthe takes a drink from his goblet. He's not interested in eating. He's certain he's seen the girl before, but isn't sure why.
"Look if you're that curious I'll have her brought here as well."
"No. It'll be fine."
"Then eat or go get her. Either way, you're making me nervous and upsetting my meal."

Last edited by rpannier on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:18 am

"Does he now?" Ventora said with a sarcastic edge, slipping the girl's purse back to her before standing. "Then move so I can go over there." He motioned with a little wave of his hand, very well aware one of Allond's guards wouldn't dare hurt something that made him money. Without good enough reason. He walked over to the table and sat across from him. Looking at both of them. "You called?" Taking another sip of his drink as he looked at Montcrief, wondering why he had been called over.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Loraine was confused, why were they bothering to whisper when they did it so loudly? And why were they looking for people?

Having the eternal guard spell and an upbringing by a hermit had dulled her mind and senses to the point were storms only ever brought more dullness, a headache, sometimes absolutely crippling sinuses, and lighting to her. So what was bringing the sound all back to her?

The channeling feather drew her attention to the girl by the door. It must be her causing this. Before she had merely looked distressed; however the way she was acting now it was honest to goodness trouble. Instinct called loudly to her, 'Air help air.'

Ventora had suddenly been approached, and was ordered to see the man who talked so loudly. No time for anything fancy (not like she could think up a plan like that) instinct had taken over. It might be now or never.

Lorraine tugged at Amirriah's sleeve, "Bad men, bad men. Asmithy Orlando and mountain chief Almond are bad men. Hermit says so and words says so. We must leave; you must help girl." She pointed to the door. "I'll help our thief distract them. They might be looking for you too."

Without giving her the chance to protest Loraine hopped from her seat and sneaked behind Ventora's chair, the hermit spoke of these men as back stabbers so at the very least she could protect his back should anything happen. She sat behind the chair like she sat upon the crate; nothing was going to get by her!
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Amirriah could feel eyes on her back but didn't dare turn around for fear of meeting those eyes. This was only one of the reasons for her discomfort. She was also starting to get a minor headache. She couldn't tell if it was from stress, the noise, or the storm. She just sat with her head rested on the bar waiting for it to pass. She unwittingly slipped into a light sleep.

Lorraine tugging on her sleeve jolted her from dozing against the bar. "Bad men, bad men," the girl said. Asmithy Orlando and mountain chief Almond are bad men. Hermit says so and words says so. We must leave; you must help girl." She pointed to the door. "I'll help our thief distract them. They might be looking for you too." And then she was gone. Amirriah tried to grab at the girls dress but missed her. With an exasperated sigh, Amirriah rubbed little circles into her temples, her headache growing stronger.

She gave a quick glance around the room  and spotted Lorraine sitting behind one of Montcrief Allond's thieves as he talked with his boss. She swore under her breath.  This girl is going to be the death of me. she thought. She would have to deal with Lorraine later, not daring to go anywhere near the table.

She glanced at the door to see who Lorraine had been pointing at. The girl sitting against the wall catches her eye. She seemed rather distressed and uncomfortable. It wasn't hard to see why, she was quite pretty and young. Being stuck in a bar full of rowdy drunk men, many of them slavers, was very unnerving for many.

Amirriah's caring, motherly nature took over. Grabbing up her staff from where she had leaned it against the bar, Amirriah stood from her seat and walked over to the girl. She gave a genital, warm smile to the girl as she knelt down in front of her. "Hey there sweetheart, you alright?" Amirriah asked kindly.
Back to top Go down
rpannier
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:11 pm

"You called?" the young man said taking a seat across from Allond and quickly taking a drink.
Allond sits saying nothing. He just sits chewing his food. He's not angry, irritated or amused. Allond seldom shows emotion, even to the most impertinent of his 'employees'. It is only to those who matter, like Asynthe that he ever shows any emotion beyond amusement. Ventora's behavior may not seem respectful to outsiders, but anyone familiar with Allond or his organization knows what he tolerates and what he doesn't and grovelling sickens him.
The boys abrupt entrance pulls Asynthe's attention away from the girl at the bar. He scans the boy. They are similar in magic interests, though Asynthe's is far more advanced and refined. Asynthe smiles leaning into to whisper in Allond's ear, soft enough to appear it's a secret, but loud enough that he's sure Ventora will hear.
"Are you certain he's up for the task? He's still pretty raw."
"Yes, of course I am sure." Allond says aloud.
Ventora interests Allond, not because he possesses any great magical skill or because he holds any great position within his organization. Rather, Ventora has shown glimmers of possibility. Allond knows he runs his own little game, stealing here-and-there, but so did Allond once. It's the nature of thieves. You don't grow up in a fine family with all the riches the Gods can give and say, "I think I want to be a street rogue."
Allond is always checking for up and comers. "Give a man or woman a task that's difficult or dangerous they respond like heated milk in a kettle. There are only two things that rise, cream or curdle. The cream you savor, the curdle you remove quickly lest it spoils the drink." Allond's favorite saying about tasking people. He repeats often to everyone in the organization so they understand how advancing works. Those that succeed move up in his organization. Those that don't find themselves not only unemployed, but usually buried in a hole somewhere outside of town.

After a couple of minutes of silence, Allond finally speaks. "I know what you've been up to. Your activities are no secret." Allond says quickly and with little emotion. It's a common statement for him to make. He says it to keep people off their guard. Allond has spies everywhere and it's difficult to know who is in his employ and what he really knows. He once had someone intentionally allow their purse to be stolen just so he could see ifr they'd lie to him when he asked about his cut. The thief denied he'd stolen anything and Allond had him killed.

The bar wench notices the girl moving behind Ventora. She signals to Allond that someone is behind the chair and likely the air mage she detected. Allond merely nods and waves her on. She understands the signal that she will get what she deserves later.

Your private activities are of no concern or use to me now. I am more interested in your future. I have a task I wish for you to perform. It will require you to show leadership and guile. Succeed and you could possibly move up, fail and... cream or curdle young man. Are you ready?"

Last edited by rpannier on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
desertedalley
Hatchling
Hatchling
desertedalley

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Honoka sits covering her ears trying to make the sounds go away. They're rising again. The waves, the voices, the whipping winds. Her skin feels like a thousand insects are biting at it, the salt from the sea air digs in. It's overwhelming. She thinks she's going crazy. A few patrons look over at her, shake their heads and either move away or merely ignore. She isn't the first crazy person they have ever seen, but some are afraid she might be contagious.

"Hey there sweetheart, you alright?" a voice breaks through the cacophony of sounds assaulting her head.
"Noooo!" she wails softly. "My head. It won't stop. They won't shut up. It's... it's... I don't know why they won't be quiet." she moans. She pushes harder and harder on her ears trying to push the sounds out. The wind slows and the voices lower as well. She can still hear voices, but the noises from outside are gone. She can still fill some of the itching, but the burning salt from the sea has stopped.
"Why won't it be quiet!" she mutters looking up at Amirriah with a sad and confused look
Back to top Go down
RebelAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling
RebelAngel

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Amirriah looked at the girl softly. "There, there sweetheart, it'll be all right, we just need to get you to a quieter place and away from all the commotion." she tenderly hushed the poor girl as she lightly pulled into a genital hug. She waved over a server and asked to be taken to any room that was available. The woman nodded and helped Amirriah gently get the girl to her feet.

The clearest path through the bar went straight pass the table were Allond and Orcrelland are seated. Amirriah swallowed her nerves and followed the server anyway.

As they walked by the table, Amirriah, nonchalantly as she could manage, grabbed Lorraine from behind the chair and dragged her away. Just to make sure Lorraine's mouth didn't cause any trouble, Amirriah clamped a hand over it to keep her silent. "Trust me sweetie, you'll thank me later." she muttered to Lorraine as the server led them up the stairs to an unoccupied room.

The room was small with a single bed, a small table, and a chair. The server led Honoka to the bed as Amirriah sat Lorraine in the chair.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Loraine was mad, "What are you doin'! He's our friend! He needs backup!!" Electricity started angrily sparking from her long hair.

She jabbed a finger at the girl, "And she is not well! I heard the men; the speak of bad things! What if they hurt her or our thief?"

Instinct growled and roared at her, her feather hummed and hummed. The storm was getting worse as was the one inside her mind.

"We need to leave! Master told me they were not to be trusted and can you not hear his words? I don't know what he is planning but it can't be good!"

By complete accident she stomped her foot. What sounded like an explosion occurred just out side the building, people started panicking and screaming but only one word came out clearly...

"FIRE!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asthera Land of Magic   Asthera Land of Magic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Asthera Land of Magic
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next