The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Old contest entry...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mysticaldragonmagic
Critic
Critic
mysticaldragonmagic

Old contest entry... Empty
PostSubject: Old contest entry...   Old contest entry... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:03 pm

This is what I wrote for the back to school contest... After I had to shorten it from 1200 words to 500 you can't really tell that it's a school setting... Well here it is anyways in it's exactly 500 words glory. Let me know what you think.

“You kidding?”

I wasn’t. I’d worked for this day, my day to win. I’d studied, drilled myself, for this… and he thought I was kidding. “No, I know how to play.”

He didn’t believe me. Of course he couldn’t. What was I to him but a fellow classmate, a lowly admirer? I couldn’t be part of this world, of his world without proving myself. “Play my best friend first,” he said. “If you beat him, you can play me.

The board is placed between us. I’d beat him, the friend means nothing but another piece in my game, it’s the king, that matters the most. I had to get to him, even if I had to go through all of the other pieces. He laughs just like the King, with the same crooked smile. They could be brothers. They both think I’m a joke. I’d show them that I know how to play.

He moved his Knight. Odd. I thought he’d start with a pawn. The pawns were the best pieces, right? Having the role of infants, moving blindly, trying to make it through, to the other side, where they would become polished individuals, reaching their full potential.

My move. I move a pawn, the one in front of my queen. He was an ambitious pawn, so he moved forward two spaces. They both laugh, but this time, I don’t care, because I know how to play.

The pieces called to me each time it was my turn. I was winning. I could tell because the crooked smiles were replaced with scowls. I was really going to beat him, and then the King would no longer look through me. I would be part of the game, because I know how to play.

I felt his hand on my shoulder, the King. Yes. He finally realized I was there, and I was a worthy competitor. Of course, I was wrong.

He reached forward and made the next move for me.

How dare he. The pieces were mine; I was the puppeteer in this show. That was the true role of the King, to play puppet master, but these were my puppets. In this game, I was the King.

He reaches to make my next move, but I pushed his arm away.

“I know how to play.”

I move my lowly pawn forward one last time, to the edge of the board, and my pawn becomes a queen. His King has nowhere to go. I win.

The King sets up the game board. He goes first. Moving my favorite pawn, the one in front of his queen. It’s ambitious so it moves forward two spaces.

This time I laugh, as I move to leave the room.

“Wait, this is the game you wanted, don’t you want to prove yourself? To beat me?” the King asked.

I shook my head. I’d gotten what I wanted. Him believing I was a competitor. That was enough for me. “No thanks. I know how to play.”
Back to top Go down

Old contest entry... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old contest entry...   Old contest entry... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Iiiii like it. c: There's a minor grammar-typo-thing -- you forgot to close your quotations at the beginning (“Play my best friend first,” he said. “If you beat him, you can play me.) -- but. I like the theme and the main character. It's... It's interesting. :D She's interesting. (Well. Assuming the MC is a she. Just comes across as a feminine voice.)

Aaand I just caught some more grammar things.

Quote :
The board is placed between us. I’d beat him, the friend means nothing but another piece in my game, it’s the king, that matters the most. I had to get to him, even if I had to go through all of the other pieces. He laughs just like the King, with the same crooked smile. They could be brothers. They both think I’m a joke. I’d show them that I know how to play.

My move. I move a pawn, the one in front of my queen. He was an ambitious pawn, so he moved forward two spaces. They both laugh, but this time, I don’t care, because I know how to play.

Watch your tenses there; you're bouncing back and forth between present and past. Pick one and stick with it. ;D Personally, I think that present tense would lend a definite... tension to the story. You could really hook in your audience that way and they'll stay there even a little after the ending.

Very good concept and delivery, you just need to do some polishing and you're good to go. c: Good job.
Back to top Go down

Old contest entry...
Page 1 of 1