The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

You versus me

Go down 
+2
Savfantasy
Seer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to the writers' challenge and my classroom. This is a contest against yourself under my rules. You must follow them to the T or you do not pass that round. If you pass all my challenges, than you become an honorary member with a few special quirks. All of you who decide to play this game have an equal change. The only thing you have to do is complete each level and its requirements. I will have a certain format for you to use during each challenge and a specific topic. The main idea for this game is that under pressure and strict guidance, you better your writing style and are able to dabble in quite a few different genres of writing. Each round will get harder and longer. It doesn't matter when you join the game for as soon as you join, you must start on the first level after you bring my attention to you. Without further a due, here is the first challenge you must complete.

CHALLENGE 1: Narration

I want you to write me a narrative. You don't have to use a lot of description. You can make it a huge long quote, or anything. This one will take part of the genre of reality. It can be on any topic you want just make sure you follow the normal rules about certain scenes which include gore and sex if that is what you choose to write about. Keep it pg-13.

-This must be between one to three paragraphs.
-Use the colors: white, cyan, violet, orange, and olive.
-Use the standard type format which I am using now.
-Space between your paragraphs
-No emoticons.
-Proper grammar and spelling required.
-Justify your writing.
-Title your narrative: Challenge 1: Narration

As a note, once you complete a level, you will know for there are two ways I will inform you. Once, congradulate you and give you the second challenge, and two, on your work will be: flower You may begin. Happy writing.
Very Happy

CAUTION: I WILL BE EDITING ON YOUR POST IN A DIFFERENT COLOR. THIS MAKES IT IS EASIER FOR EVERYONE TO READ. ONCE THE CORRECTIONS HAVE BEEN MADE, I WILL ERASE MY WORDS.

Last edited by Seer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://pathlesstraveled.forumotion.com
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner
Savfantasy

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 11:38 am

Challenge One: Narration

Come with me now as I take you to a time eight years ago. I was in fifth grade, and the high school orchestra had come to play for us. I remember sitting 'criss-cross-applesauce' on the cold gymnasium floor. That day however, the usually dreaded gym had been transformed into a place of wonder. A large group of 'big kids' had come to preform for my grade, and they were all playing what seemed to me like random notes as they tuned their various instruments. I scanned the orchestra in anticipation. Although classical music usually put me to sleep, I had never seen it performed live. The general buzz of conversation stopped abruptly as the conductor walked into the room. No one clapped of course; we didn't know we were supposed to. She raised her arms majestically, and with one wave of her hand, the very recognizable first chord of "The Phantom of the Opera" rang throughout the room.

I was speechless. I sat there, dumbfounded, as their bows skidded over the strings. They all moved in perfect harmony, or so it seemed to me. The last note came, and our little ten year old hands erupted into applause. They played two more songs, both as beautiful and powerful as the first. Far too soon, it was all over. The conductor, who introduced herself as M.J., turned to talk to us. She told us that we would each have the opportunity to convince our parents to buy us our own instrument. Of course, I went home in a frenzy. It didn't take much to convince my parents; neither of them were musical, and they really wanted it for their child. And so, I decided to learn to play the viola.

Many people ask me why I choose the viola. After all, it is probably the least known stringed instrument. But that might just be what I like about it. I didn't realize it when I was young. I had actually only chosen it because it was in the middle of the string family. Since I was the middle child, I could relate to this inanimate object. So I picked it up, and never put it down. It has been eight years now, and although I'm not playing the same viola I had when I was younger, the passion I felt and feel for this unrecognized musical masterpiece still stays strong.

flower Congratulations. The second level will be put up for you at a later date either tomorrow or tonight.

Last edited by Savfantasy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 pm

I know this is very, very, very, late in coming, but it is finally here!!! The second round of the competition has just arrived for you! So, you have completed the narration task. The second task isn’t much of an improvement about what you have already written. Most things written are a type of narration or story telling.

CHALLENGE 2: Story telling

“Mommy, Mommy! Read me a story!”

You are the mommy in this scenario. This time, you have an audience. You will be writing a story appropriate for a child reader or listener. You can make it a scary Halloween story, or making it silly. You can even make it a story that follows a moral. Animal characters are welcome and talking objects are welcome. No gore, no sex, no real life head bashing drama. Pretend I am a little child hoping for a nice little bed time story.

-A short story length. This can range from a few pages to two. Don't give me a whole book on it. Think of some of the short fairy tales you have read.
-No emoticons.
-Justify your writing.
-Title your story: Challenge 2: Story Telling.

Happy story time! ^.~

Previous notes about editing and restrictions apply. This round is only for Savfantasy since she had completed the first challenge. New comers must start with the first challenge. As a final note, the stamp has now become a dragon since our mascot is now up and running.
Back to top Go down
https://pathlesstraveled.forumotion.com
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner
Savfantasy

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Challenge Two: Story Telling

Moon stirred, bored and unable to sleep. He flung his feet over the side of his bed and stood up. With a great yawn, he stretched his long limbs. It felt good to be up; he really hated wasting time sleeping. He paced his room, unsure what to do now that he was awake. It was still his brother’s turn to be out, so he couldn’t leave the house. He peeked out the window, gazing through the clouds to the earth below. Everything seemed so busy during the day. He hardly ever got to see such movement during his time out. It really wasn’t fair. Sun got to see the best things. He leaned slightly out the window with a small pout on his face. If he squinted his eyes, he could see the tiny scurrying creatures that always slept when he saw them.

There in the sky he could see small birds flittering about, singing their greetings to Sun. They glanced his way, seemingly surprised to see him up and about. They quickly turned their heads. Moon sighed. No songs would come for him. He leaned out farther, nearly half-way into the open sky. How much longer would he have to wait? Surely it was almost his turn! A sudden gust of wind caught him and he closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze that his brother warmed. The wind picked up slightly, causing Moon to loose his balance. With a cry, he tumbled out of the window, and fell down towards the earth. He reached his hand out, hoping to grab onto something to stop his decent. He saw his brother extending his hand, but he was too far away. Moon closed his eyes, terrified to find out what would happen when he hit the earth.

With a thud, Moon landed on the dirt for the first time. He groaned as he sat up, rubbing his sore body. Where was he? He looked up, wincing as a bright light assaulted his eyes. Through the brilliant sheen, he could barely make out a familiar face. Was that what his brother looked like from down here? It was almost unbelievable. He stood up, brushing the dust from his clothes. He walked around aimlessly. How could he get back home? He saw no ladders, no stairs that would aid him. He frowned. The sky was beginning to change colors, and Moon looked with wonder at his brother as he slowly descended. Such wonderful shades and hues he created! How did he do it? Moon cocked his head, once again jealous of his brother. There was no such rainbow of colors to follow him from the sky.

He saw Sun glance back over his shoulder once, his eyes scanning the earth for his poor brother. There was nothing he could do though, and so he went back home, leaving the sky dark. Moon cried out. There! There in the sky was where he should be! He jumped up, hoping to be able to fly up to his proper seat like one of the song birds he so often admired. He only got a few inches up however, before gravity threw him back onto the ground. He leapt again with a cry of frustration. After a few more tries though, he got no closer to his sky. He finally gave up, and plopped down on the ground. He looked around, feeling very depressed. What could he even do here? He let his head fall into his hands and he closed his eyes.

He looked up as a small creature suddenly landed beside him. Old Widow Owl cocked her head at him.

“Friend Moon,” she said, quite surprised. “What are you doing down here?”

Moon stared at her with sad eyes.

“I was admiring the song birds that sing to my brother, Sun. I was jealous, but I leaned out too far and I feel out of the sky. Now I’m all alone down here, and I don’t know how to get back into the sky. Widow Owl was quite concerned with this reply.
“Why would you be jealous of your brother? Don’t I come to sing for you every night, and tell you stories?”

Moon looked down, suddenly ashamed. He opened his mouth to reply, but a small tug on his pants made him look down. Baby Cricket looked up at him with big eyes.

“I like to sing to you too, Moon! Don’t you hear me, way up there?”

Moon smiled.
"I do hear you, little Cricket. I don't know what I was thinking. I have a lot to be thankful for!"

One by one, all the other creatures of the night gathered around the moon. The fireflies, which danced for him, the bats which always fluttered around during his time out, the coons and other nighttime animals that relied on him for light. Moon couldn't have been happier. How had he overlooked all the good friends he already had? He realized now that there was no reason to be jealous of his brother Sun.

“You’re all right,” he said happily. “I guess there are a lot of things I have to be thankful for. But now you’ll never get to sing for me again. I can’t find a way into the sky.” He looked down, feeling sad again. Widow Owl flapped her wings.

“Don’t worry, friend Moon,” she said happily. I can help fly you up to the sky!”

“And I can give you strong legs, so you can jump back down whenever you want!” chipped in little Cricket. Moon wiped his eyes, smiling.

“Thank you, friends,” he said honestly. “I never knew how lucky I was. I’ll never feel jealous of Sun again. I have my own night to watch after.”

Widow Owl hooted her agreement, and took hold of Moon’s shirt. She flapped hard, and the two slowly began to lift off the ground. True to her word, Owl flew him up, and placed him back in his spot in the sky. Cricket rode on her shoulder, and handed Moon a pair of strong jumping legs before they went back to their place on the earth.

“Come visit us, sometime!” they said as they flew away. Moon nodded. Since that day, Moon has taken time every once and a while, to go down and visit his friends. You can always tell when he visits the earth, for he leaves the sky dark. In the morning though, he always returns to the sky, to rest up for his next turn to light up the earth. Each time he comes back, he always has a smile on his face.

Each day, he would wake to find his brother chatting with the song birds, or watching the busy humans roaming around. Moon never felt jealous anymore, though. He knew that each night he would have Widow Owl, Baby Cricket, and all his other night time friends to keep him company.

You versus me AVSE Congratz!

Last edited by Savfantasy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Child
Child
Shiva

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 11:32 am

Challenge One: Narration

His name was Mr. Amar. He was the proctor of our PSAT's, a preparatory test that lets you get prepared for the real SAT's (HELL) you would be taking next year. He was a nice guy, in terms of people- but that wouldn't really help at this point. I was having a bad day already. The Freshmen and Seniors had no need to go to school until 11:00 AM because we were taking these stupid tests, while we all were sitting here looking at our desks at 7:45 AM.

The bell rang at that point, but it didn't really sound like a bell. It sounded like a edited version of Michael Jackson's whooping in a much deeper voice. Amar started handing out tests, and telling us we needed to sit in alphabetical order. I couldn't think of anything witty to mull over and laugh to myself about, so I just settled for watching a student play with his empty Aunt Jemimah syrup bottle

SAT's and PSAT's consisted mostly of multiple choices, which might not have been so bad if it weren't timed. Yes, the freaking thing is timed. You get a variety of questions, 24 to four hundred billion and you have about half an hour to do it. Less than one freaking minute for each question when the going gets tough. If that weren't bad enough, there were five sections we had to labor through, making the entire test time equal exactly two hours, give or take an eternity.

I threw up a little on my shirt and pants, but I was already beginning to open the booklet to fill out the necessary information with a sigh.

§ You didn't erase my edits XD. Congratzi ~ You versus me MIFk

Last edited by Shiva on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frozen Memory
Founder
Founder
Frozen Memory

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 pm

I will be taking over this thread since Seer is no longer with us. Editing in process. Please wait.
Back to top Go down
Frozen Memory
Founder
Founder
Frozen Memory

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm

For Savvy

Challenge three: Transition

This challenge is actually a narration but a little more difficult. This one is not in first person. Think back to the old scary books where a narrator conjures up a haunted house and describes it with every aspect of doom, gloom, and horror. This may be the Christmas month and Halloween long passed, but your assignment is to create a scary narration. Take a simple every day object. Do not take a house because that would be a little overrated. Take a notebook, a staple, a plate, anything else. It is your job to make that ordinary object seem like a terror beyond imagination. Describe the scene and describe the object itself as drastic as you can.

Example: The hidden menace gleamed black in the streaked moonlight with glistening silver fangs ready to leap and snap in a moment’s notice.

Make every screw and bolt more than it is. Use a lot of personification.

Rules:

-A short story length. This can range from a few pages to two.
-No emoticons.
-Justify your writing.
-Title your story: Challenge 3: Horror Personification
Back to top Go down
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner
Savfantasy

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Challenge Three: Horror Personification

Little Johnny awoke to the sound of thunder. His tiny hands clasped his sheets as lightning lit up the sky, pulling them up over his nose. He was a big kid now, he told himself, and big kids didn’t go running to their parents bed every time a storm came. He was still frightened however. He whimpered as another streak of lightning ran across the sky, and gingerly climbed out of bed. Perhaps he could find some comfort if he went and slept next to the family dog, a big black Labrador. But to get to Pad, he would have to go all the way downstairs; a trip he was not looking forward to. Regardless, he slowly began making his way out of his room.

While he was walking down the hall, another clap of thunder claimed his attention. No longer paying attention to where he was going, Johnny collided with something in the hall. He fell backwards with a muted cry, curling up in an instinctive fetal position. Shaking, he opened one eye to look at the monster he had ran into. What he saw, instead of pacifying his fear, caused him to curl up tighter and hug himself protectively.

The thing was huge, nearly reaching to the ceiling. Its bulbous nose jutted out, scrapping against the floor, searching for Johnny’s scent. One snake-like arm was lain across the floor, baring his path of escape. It loomed over him, its fat and inflated stomach silhouetted in another flash of the sky’s fire. The strange pole that rose from its back seemed to sway, as if straining to move forward and attack the defenseless boy. Johnny could feel tears beginning to form in his eyes. Perhaps it would have been better if he had simply stayed in bed. He jumped as another flash of light allowed him to see something he hadn’t before. A long, skinny tail was running across the ground. It circled behind him, leaving him surrounded. Johnny opened his mouth to cry out, but no sound escaped.

Suddenly, the monster began to wobble and it soon toppled over. Johnny stood up, hardly believing that he was alive. The thing hadn’t attacked him? He walked over to it, feeling braver now that it wasn’t towering above him. He tapped its bloated belly with one foot, satisfied that it didn’t move. He looked around for his savior. What had killed this beast? The answer was found as a panting sound came from the shadows. Pad! The big black dog must have been able to sneak up on it since he blended in with the shadows!

“Good boy!” Johnny cried, running down the hall to embrace the family pet. Pad woofed happily, and let himself be lead to the living room, where boy and dog lay down on the rug together. Johnny flinched after the first few lighting flashes, but the warmth of Pad’s body and the evenness of his breath soon calmed him. Johnny found himself drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

Johnny’s mother awoke in the morning, feeling refreshed. She looked out the window, to where the sun was filtering through the shades. She saw some droplets of water on the window, and looked at her husband in surprise. It had rained last night? And her son hadn’t come in to wake them up? She smiled. Her boy was growing up. She yawned, and stood up. Her feet shuffled against the floor as she headed towards the kitchen to make breakfast. She had to step over the vacuum cleaner, which she had forgotten to put away. Something had knocked it over, probably that big oaf of a dog they had.

She was greeted by a surprising sight when she entered the living room. Her little boy was curled up next to Pad, his little fingers entangled in the dog’s thick fur. She smiled. How cute!

That was entertaining XD. So cute. I thought it was the dog at first XP. Congratz You versus me MIFk
Back to top Go down
pjkio03
Dragon
Dragon
pjkio03

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Challenge 1: Narration
A couple of years ago I was struggling. I had just moved to a new town, and the only friend I had was my church. Vacation Bible School had just begun; I was ecstatic to get to know not only the children of my church, but the adults as well. It was my first year being old enough to work at Vacation Bible School. I recall I was working in the nursery. It was the morning of the first day. Savvy and I were lounging around and chatting. Then he came up. A tall, curly-haired, blond, and rather good-looking guy around 15. I was 12 at the time. He showed me where the nursery was, then talked with Savvy and walked away. Constantly throughout the week I would peek out the window in the door and see him there. He was constantly playing with kids. I concluded he was good with children.

Soon it was all over. Vacation Bible School had ended; I was left with the fear we would never cross paths again. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. He joined the orchestra group Savvy and I were in, and we discovered he was a talented Violin player. Since then we have become good friends and joined many of the same activities. I truly would trust him with my life.

My Fairy Tale ending is coming, and I can't wait until it does. But for now only time will tell what fate is set for us.

You may go on ^^ You versus me MIFk
Back to top Go down
SweetDreamer215
Child
Child
SweetDreamer215

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 11:21 am

CHALLANGE ONE: NARRATION

A small noise made my ears perk up. What was that? I wondered, not knowing what is going on. I slowly got up from lying on the couch and stopped to listen. There it is again! The noise was coming more often now, and I slowly began to walk towards it, making my footsteps light so they didn't hear me. My breathing slowed down, no maybe it sped up, I couldn’t tell, all I know is that my heart beat was ringing in my ears and this noise I hear is something I must find out.

I reached the first step of the two story house; slowly I turn my head so my ear can hear if it’s upstairs or not. My head jerked, it was upstairs. I started to go upstairs, running knowing that I’m making a lot of noise by bounding up the stairs. When I got to the top the noise was louder than I expected and coming much more often. I slowly started to walk again wanting to find the noise. Then I heard it, it was coming from Amber’s Room. I bounded towards the room and pushed the door open making it swing wide.

“Hey Copper, what’s up?” she looked at me in surprise, “Ah Dang it!!” she yelled. The strange noise happened again, she growled and pressed a button. I looked at what she was doing and she was playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I walked over and sat next to her bed.
“Good boy,” she said and started to scratch my head before mumbling what a silly dog I was. I glanced at the game she was playing and heard the strange noise again. I just put my head on her knee and let her scratch my head and thought, what a silly human.

Awe, that was cute. I love Copper! He is adorable! Ahem Anyway. Your tenses changed a few times. Sometimes it was present, then it was past. It might be easier if you wrote it in past tense. Otherwise it was good. Fix that up and I will pass you. ^^

Last edited by SweetDreamer215 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : all fixed now)
Back to top Go down
Frozen Memory
Founder
Founder
Frozen Memory

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Okay, I know I took forever to post this up. >.< I am really sorry about that. Well, here is the next round for those of you who finish challenge three.

So, you've done three challenges based on narration. One was first person, the second was a story for little kids. The third gave you practice with description and personification. Now let's step it up a bit. Let's talk about characters. Most of you, I am sure, know how to create a character for a scene and play the character. Sounds simple right? Not exactly. You see, in this challenge, I am going to give you the character you will be using. Your task is to figure out how to play the character with the scenario I give you. This helps you conform any character and make a story out of it. Hopefully it will give you some practice with characterization. Each person who does this challenge will be getting something different, so pm if you are on this step and I will give you what you need.

Rules:

-A short story length. This can range from a few pages to two.
-No emoticons.
-I will give you vague outlines for your character. You cannot change those traits that I give you.
-Justify your writing.
-Title your story: Challenge 4: Characterization
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

You versus me Empty
PostSubject: Re: You versus me   You versus me Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You versus me
Page 1 of 1