The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

What are you reading?

Go down 
+6
Night Elf
Thepsycoman
Rosegurl1
Conway
Common Nonsense
Seer
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

What are you reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 pm

This is a writing site, so I am sure that some if not most of you are currently reading a book. If it is a great read and you want others to take a look at it, then post here. You can also tell us what books you thought weren't worth the time to pick up.

To start us all off, I am currently reading Dark lines of the Heart by Dean Koontz. It is pretty cool and horrifying like many of his other books. Quite a page turner. I highly recomend his books to anyone. I won't go into any detail since I don't want to spoil it.
Back to top Go down
https://pathlesstraveled.forumotion.com
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Ugh, I feel like I'm reading too much. I don't even have time to read anymore.

Right now, I'm reading Hamlet for school. Mildly interesting, I suppose, but I don't like Shakespeare because I have to read everything slowly and sometimes multiple times to understand his speech. Ugh. And it's eating up the rest of my reading time.

I've got three other books in progress, but I can't get to them because of Hamlet. One is Stephen King's The Stand, which I am enjoying immensely. He writes like he talks half the time, which makes it an interesting read.

Then there's The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins. >3> Me and my silly atheism and biology books.

Lastly, Blood Pact by Tanya Huff. The whole series is good and all, but since I read Twilight, my entire drive to read vampire novels with any sort of romance has been murdered, and the remains of that drive set on fire afterward. And thrown into a lake of acid. Because Twilight killed it for me that badly.

Sorry to any fans of Twilight. >_>
Back to top Go down
Conway
Conway

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 am

I have read a lot of books lately but I would say my favorites are Dragonquest, Dragonsong, and Dragonsinger all by Anne McCaffrey. Then the Beka Cooper series and Immortal series by Tamora Pierce. Finally Exile's Valor, Exile's Honor, Brightly Burning, and Take a Thief all by Mercedes Lacky.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 11:47 am

Ooh. Those sound interesting. Those books by Mercedes Lackey in particular. I like Hamlet. It was interesting. Shakespeare I think he was a genius. I understand not liking them for school but as a normal read they are cool.
Back to top Go down
Conway
Conway

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 12:44 pm

I think of all the school assigned readings I have had I only liked 3 and I have had a lot of them. They almost always suck and it takes away from the reading you do want to do. I think its the reason why most people hate to read is school's fault.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:35 pm

I wouldn't mind reading for school so much if the books were just a little better. >.< I've only liked two of the books we did: Lord of the Flies and Fahrenheit 451. Those were great. Shakespeare's okay, but I don't like reading for school.

Reading for school would also be better if we weren't analyzing every stupid word for literary devices and deeper meaning. Sometimes, authors put in the flowers just because they were there and that was it, y'know. ]:
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I completely understand. I understand what they are trying to get at, but I do that while I read. I don't have to sit there and write it down. It sucks the fun and mystery of the book right out. They don't seem to realize that. Okay see the symbolizom. You do th at anyway.
Back to top Go down
Conway
Conway

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:17 pm

I personally don't care if a reader gets every thing I write as long as they enjoy it and I think tha is what all fiction writers are really after. Picking a story a part can take that away and I don't think an author would like that. Maybe that is why we usually pick a part the stories of people who are already died.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Haha Good point on the whole picking part. However, when I write, I want the reader to interoperate the story and thrown themselves into it. I want them to understand what is going on so they can actually infer things and then have them surprised. That is one element I hope for besides having someone enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 am

I am rereading my Harry Potter 1-7 books, but I am missing my sixth book. I haven't been able get more different books. When I was at school reading for class made me not enjoy the story as well as I can. I liked the Ergone books, but that movie was crap. (sorry if I misspell anything.)
Back to top Go down
Thepsycoman
Admin
Admin
Thepsycoman

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I agree. Both Harry potter and Eragon are books of the gods

At the moment I am reading a book called Darkfall by Isabella Carmody.

If I was to write all the books I have read the past few years I would list half a library.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh yeah we have a bunch of talking threads . . .

Hmmm. Right now I'm in the middle of rereading the Bartimaeus trilogy. Most of the way through The Amulet of Samarkand. <3
Back to top Go down
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 3:39 pm

^-^ Another book person. I love the old fairy tails that are not for kids. My most fav. book is Lord of the Rings. study I don't rememer all the books I had read over the years. -laughs-
Back to top Go down
Night Elf
Night Elf

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

So, I'm reading World War Z right now. It's about Zombies, and also pretty good. I love the style that its written in..so I'm enjoying it. And then in between reading that, I'm rereading for about the millionth time, Watership Down which is my favorite book of all time ever. So, I'm happy between those two books. Heh.
Back to top Go down
pjkio03
Dragon
Dragon
pjkio03

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm currently reading No Impact Man, a book about a man who goes a year having no carbon footprint or impact on the environment. It's the first non-fiction book I've enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 pm

I love history, because there is many different sides to it. I have a lot facts that my family had heard from me that they thing it is annoying. ^-^ Sometimes the truth is weird then the fiction.
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

I've been reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and oh my god it's amazing, I've only read up too the 2nd book though:c
Back to top Go down
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Indecisive_Gamers/index.php?act=idx
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Honey I finished all five books and cannot wait for the sixth one to come out. I am reading Summers Knight which is the fourth book in the Dresden Files.
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm about at the point where I stay off the internet for fear of spoilers lol, and i've never heard of the Dresden Files, what are they about?
Back to top Go down
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:42 pm

I know.

It is about a wizard that works with the Chicago police on cases that they cannot deal with. He is even listed in the phone book in the book. He goes through a lot of shit and comes out by the skin of his teeth. The wizard's name is Harry Dresden.
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Scholar
Scholar
Ezekiel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm

That... just sounds awesome
Back to top Go down
Rosegurl1
Scholar
Scholar
Rosegurl1

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:51 pm

It is. Tech goes out around he a lot, because he is magic.
Back to top Go down
OddandOdd
Wanderer
Wanderer
OddandOdd

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 pm

you all are lucky; the school's currently got us reading 'As I Lay Dying.'

not only is it depressing and full of horrible people, the school never lets us have our own opinion or interpretations about the book. I mean goodness forbid we actually have an idea about anything.
Back to top Go down
ForTheHordeKT
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 8:16 pm

All those Game of Thrones books were awesome. I used to work at some local little market up in the Sierra's and one of the ladies I worked with got her husband to copy over all the ebooks for me, and I slapped em on my phone to read.

Right now I'm going through the Shannara series. I'd started and finished a trilogy smack in the middle of the whole series a while ago before I realized what I'd gotten myself into and lately I've found the time to go back and start reading in order of when they were written. Starts with the Sword of Shannara, and right now I'm on the second book, the Elfstones of Shannara. It's an interesting twist of fantasy because other than the elves, all the other races are just really mutations of man thousands of years into our future. Apparently we war ourselves into damn near extinction and what emerges thousands of years later is a completely changed and refreshed landscape and a medieval fantasy type setting.
Back to top Go down
pjkio03
Dragon
Dragon
pjkio03

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am

That definitely sounds interesting. I've always had a soft spot for fantasy.
Right now I'm pretty into classics. I just got done reading Crime and Punishment and now I'm reading Hamlet and a few Kurt Vonnegut books. He's shaping up to be one of my favorite authors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Path Less Traveled :: The Abstract :: Gossips and chat :: Books-
Jump to: