The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Savvy's Short Stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner
Savfantasy

Savvy's Short Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Savvy's Short Stuff   Savvy's Short Stuff Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm

A short story I wrote a while ago. I don't usually write many short stories, so I probably won't be posting in this particular thread too often.

Hey there! I’m Death. Wait, wait. Don’t run away; I’m not here to take you. It’s just that I get bored doing my job all the time. I only ever get to talk to those souls I collect, and they’re no fun. They just go on and on about their life, you know? As if I don’t already know. Now I’ll admit, I do get a good one every now and again. You know, the reflective old man that respects rather than fears me. Or sometimes the child that doesn’t know what fear is.

Anyway, so here I am. No, no. Have a seat! We’ve got all the time in the world. I’ve been at this for a long time, you know. Almost a thousand years! Oh, you look surprised! No, I’m not the first Death. Name was Jerry, once. Imagine I won’t be the last. We pass it on, you see, after a while. Finally get a part of that peace for ourselves, you know? Why, old William (that’s the guy that had the job before me) he only kept it for a couple hundred years! He was always an impatient fellow, though. Don’t know why he was picked in the first place. Not that he wasn’t good at it, mind you, just that he wouldn’t have shown much potential as a human, understand?

It’s a pretty good gig, though. Great health benefits. Ha! Not that hard, either. You shed your human emotions when you put on the cloak, see? Start to understand things more clearly - see why things happen. Then it’s just a matter of picking them up. And good old Father Time, why, he’s real good about it. He let’s Death move about freely, right? So as long as you don’t dilly dally, you get to everyone.

Does get lonely, though. Now Will, he kept a cat. I can’t stand the critters myself. I’ve got a handful of birds, though. Make good little companions, birds. Always know how to cheer you up, you know? Not so great for my job, though. You see, they can’t travel between worlds like cats and dogs. So I can’t bring them with me on my runs, or they’ll die. I had one follow me, one time. Usually don’t do animals, but I collected him myself. He was a loyal little fella, though. It really was a shame.

Ah, but listen to me go on! You must be wondering why I’m here, right? Why I’m talking to you? Well, I said I wasn’t here to take you; that’s not quite true. I’ve been at this for a long time, like I said. Had my eyes open for a while now for a replacement, you know? Ah, there. You understand now. Not a bad gig, like I said. I’ll be your first too, so I’ll walk you through it. Here, take the cloak. Looks good on you. Phew, really starting to feel my age, now. Alright, in the pocket you’ll find a ring. That’s it. Now, put it on and reach out for my hand. That’s all there is to it! You did good. Now, there’s a bell in your other pocket, feel it? Just give that a ring and you’ll switch worlds. Hold onto me, now! I don’t want to be left behind. There you go. There’s your hose there. Nice, isn’t it? Be sure to look after my birds.

Now, see that line over there? That’s my last stop. Ah. Looks like good ol’ William came to greet me. Just drop me off there by him - there you go. Well, it was nice talking to you. You’ll do great, I’m sure. Ah. Looks like you’ve got another call. Well, see you later. You’ll do fine, I’m sure.

Hey there, Will. Yeah, gave it up at last. Oh no, chose a good kid. Why don’t you show me around?
Back to top Go down

Savvy's Short Stuff
Page 1 of 1