The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

The Amaranth Chronicles Book 1: Avan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Avalon
Child
Child
Avalon

The Amaranth Chronicles Book 1: Avan Empty
PostSubject: The Amaranth Chronicles Book 1: Avan   The Amaranth Chronicles Book 1: Avan Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Prologue: Seed of Evil

Year of Gabriel, 1st Day

It is the Year of Gabriel thatI have found this dusty old tome once more. This diary of mine hasn't been open for so long...Strange for me to be so old now, yet still so young. Lucifer is the same, and he continues to be such a brother I could never ask better of. Every day, we wake, go out for walks through Heaven, and find nothing to really do except play games with our brethren, who love to race around the Palace of the G.O. But today is an odd day. We were assaulted today, you see.

The sun had reached its peak when we were summoned by the Grand Ordinators, the most powerful of angels, given command over the more weak-minded of our brethren. Humans have come to know the Ordinators as God, though I am confused as to where they got the last letter from...I'm getting off subject. The Ordinators, two angels named Luna and Sol, one female and the other male respectively, summoned four of us to their chambers. It was myself, Lucifer, Michael, and Gabriel.

"Brothers, we have seen a creature of great power on its way toward our equally great Heaven, most likely to tear it asunder. You four have been chosen to stand against it. Do you comply with our wishes?" The Ordinators, bathed in a great white light and hidden behind a curtain, could easily speak without fear of retaliation. After all, they held the ultimate power to destroy the entire universe and reshape it as they saw fit. They could easily destroy one of us, for we were easily replaceable.

Each of we four spoke in unison, "If the Ordinators request it, we shall carry it out. For we have faith, and can not be stopped." The Ordinators were pleased with our acceptance, and gave us each a weapon. For Gabriel, a long pole-like weapon with a piercing head on it, referred to as a spear. For Michael, a longsword with a great tongue of flames rolling over the blade. For Lucifer, a sword of his own, with a soft black grip and basic design. And for myself, a similar weapon, but with a white grip.

With our new armaments, we headed out to the Gates, where Peter greeted us, paying his respects before leaving hurriedly. Looking toward the grand space beyond the sky, we saw the monster the Ordinators spoke of. A beast of size much compared to that of a creature humans call an elephant, though it had the body of a dragon on two hind legs. It bore many heads, I can't remember how many, and gleaming, crimson eyes. Its scales were gold, and it appeared quite intelligent, sizing each of us up before letting loose a mighty roar that shook the clouds beneath our feet. With a single swipe of its right arm, the spear was torn from Gabriel's hands. Michael and Lucifer took up defensive positions as I stood defiantly in its path. With a second swipe of its arm, I barely had time to jump and slash downward, removing the vile thing's mighty claw from its equally mighty limb. It shrieked in pain, staggering back in shock at the feeling. Lucifer was the next to strike, Michael following him. Each thrust their blades with all of their strength, piercing its chest... Little did we know this would be the fatal mistake that would lead us all to ruin.

The creature, roaring at the top of its lungs, was in too much pain to notice what the four of us were doing. We each held out our hands, chanting. "Children of the Sun and Moon, hear our cry! Banish this creature to the inner folds of the world below, so it may never see the light of day again!" It was a powerful incantation for sealing away those who had defied the laws of the Ordinators. We cast the spell upon the monster, and it fell through the clouds, an invisible force dragging it down to Earth, which opened up and swallowed it whole.

Quietly, we made our way back, tired and exhausted from the creature's strength. Gabriel had a scar on his right shoulder that Michael had managed to heal, but other than that, there were no injuries. I am sad to say that none of us noticed the change within Lucifer, who now bore a piece of the beast's heart from his sword when he had pierced its chest. That bit of heart was now seeping into Lucifer's soul, corrupting him with great speed and efficiency. How was I to know that it would be by this seed of evil that I would become something different than what I was at that moment? That Lucifer, my beloved little brother, would become a being of power so great, only I would be able to stand in his way? How foolish I was indeed, to be so naive...

Chapter 1: Questions of Fools

Lucifer and I entered our house, handed down to me from our mother whose soul passed on to a plane of existence even higher than this one. As Lucifer sat down, I poured a cup of tea for the two of us and sat down, attempting to think on the events of the past hour. The Devil's invasion lasted only minutes, yet I was still so troubled by him. I could not figure out why. It was Lucifer who broke me from my thoughts.

"Brushen, may I ask a question?" Always the polite one was my beloved brother.

I looked up, and saw what I think I mistook for confusion in his eyes, but which I now know was a growing suspicion of the Ordinators. Carefully, I nodded, opening myself to the assault I hadn't expected. "If the Ordinators are so powerful, why do they not want us questioning them? Why were we sent to deal with the beast if they could easily do so themselves?"

I could not believe my ears. Lucifer, the most devout of the Ordinators' servants, was now questioning their ways? "My brushan, what foul language is this that issues forth from your lips? Why doth your tongue not hold itself in check? Our masters' wishes are absolute. Whatever they ask, we do without question. Do not let me catch you speaking as such again, sandum hu kipo?"

In a sudden fit, Lucifer stood, huffing and leaving the room in a rush. I assume he went to go to sleep for the night, for when I entered our room, I found him in his bed, and quickly went across the room to my own. But sleep did not come to me that night. For hours, I stayed up, looking to the deep reaches of space and praying. Why did he question? Was he ill? I would have to look at him in the morning to determine the possible cause for his foolishness. Ironic how I looked for foolishness in my brother, yet never discovered it to actually be in myself.

Chapter 2: Bloodshed

I can't quite remember what happened, seeing as how the next seven days after the strange questions of my brother were rather insignificant. I can remember, though, that he became increasingly agitated, and would have tantrums at the smallest irritations. He began preaching against our masters, even going so far as to shake his fist violently at their palace during one of his "sermons". It was too late for us, I should have realized.

One day, I spotted Lucifer knelt by an opening in the clouds, looking down to Adam and Eve, who seemed to be enjoying a tender moment. Sitting beside him, I watched as well. "Lucifer, tell me what has gotten into your head? Why do you speak out against the Ordinators? What madness has entered your mind?"

The lad merely looked at me, and I could see how much he'd been changed, though I knew not what by. His eyes had become sunken, his pupils thinned into slits, his irises turned crimson, his skin had grown a tan darker than even those who worked at the flames of the forges. He lifted his head with a smirk that made my skin crawl. "Because you are all fools...They seek to make us their puppets, and were it not for my will, they would have done so to me. You see how all of the other angels act, speaking and mumbling like the weak-minded simpletons they are!"

At his dark words, I reached a hand across to him, smacking my little brother across his face. He looked stunned for a moment, then he faced me again. Now his eyes had the look of the brother I knew, gentle golden eyes tearing up. In the same movement I used to slap Lucifer, I also hugged him. "There, there, little one." I was unsure of what to tell him. "Be not afraid. Brother is here, now."

As I hugged the poor lad, he collapsed into my arms, the tears drenching his face like rain pouring from the clouds. "I don't know what's wrong with me...Every time I go to sleep, I see that monster's face, staring at me and whispering things to me...'They don't deserve to live. They are all fools under the impression that the Ordinators are all-powerful. Perhaps if you destroy them, you can free them from this horrible nightmare they think is the greatest dream.' He won't let up...I can hear him even now. He won't stop whispering to me!"

I stood, patting his shoulder. "Fear not. We will see the Ordinators and get this sorted out. Perhaps Michael, in his own wisdom, can tell us what to do."

What a fool was I, to not understand how much blood would be shed because of this foolish decision...

Chapter 3: Innocence Lost

It was a strange feeling, as we walked to the Ordinators' Palace. I can't quite say whether I was scared or just unsure of what may occur. Lucifer seemed to grow only darker as we approached the palace. His voice grew deep, and he began to mutter incoherently. When we reached the palace, we entered the chamber, and light immediately bathed us in warmth. But as soon as it touched Lucifer's skin, the ray of light disappeared, allowing him to be enveloped in darkness once more. The Ordinators stood from their seats behind the veil, obviously offended. "What sorcery is this, child? You dare to defile our palace chamber by keeping yourself out of the Light?"

Lucifer merely twitched, looking to the two of them and tilting his head. "...Be silent, you lazy, worthless, pathetic excuses for Grand Ordinators. I'd bet I could do better than you. At least I'd go out and do my own work instead of leaving it to mindless fools who can't see past their own actions and realize that you are merely puppeteers controlling a massive hive of puppets."

I wish I could say I was shocked. But by now, I felt I understood what he was saying. It was true. Angels walked about Heaven without much care as to what they were doing, and the Ordinators never left their chambers. It now seemed to make sense...Perhaps Lucifer would make a better Ordinator. He was certainly very intelligent. And he always went out of his way to make sure other angels didn't get into trouble...But something about the way he said he's do his own work didn't sit right with me. I suppose at that time, I was a fool to speak up.

"Masters, my brother does indeed have a point...Perhaps he should be allowed a bit of time to take one of your positions as an Or-" My suggestion went unfinished, as a bolt of piercing light struck my cheek, cutting it deeply. Sol, the Ordinator of the Sun, spoke up as his hand withdrew back behind the veil. "Be silent, Avankiri Amari...As for you, Lucifer Amari, your outburst will be dealt with as well...Michael! Come hither, for we have a man whom you must deal with."

At this point, I would like to clarify something. Humans have been told in a book called the Bible (which ironically means "to lie" in Angelic), that a rebellion took place and a terrible war started. Well, that's wrong. No such war occurred, nor was there ever any serpent in the Garden of Eden. Humans have simply created that tale so that they don't have to blame themselves for having intelligence, not immortality. Take it from a man who was in Heaven at the time. It never happened.

At any rate...Michael arrived in a split-second. "You called for me, Masters?" The Ordinators pointed to the two of us, whispering amongst themselves before looking to Michael. "Cast them out. Take them from the clouds and toss them down. They are to never be allowed in this sacred plane ever again for their blasphemy and heretic thoughts."

It came without warning; a blow to the side of my face from what I believe may have been Michael's fist, though it disoriented me so much that I don't really know what it was. Lucifer received the same punishment, but instead of a fist, Michael drew his flaming sword, burning Lucifer's cheek with the white hot blade. I dare say the scream that followed made even my blood curdle, though I was the one who let it out. Drawing my weapon, I pointed the tip at Michael, who merely swept the weapon from my hands, and pierced my stomach so deeply that his sword went out my back. When he pulled it out, I could do nothing but collapse. Lucifer continued to grunt and groan in pain, as Michael kicked him to the ground and proceeded to poke and prod him deeply with the tip of his great blade.

The next thing I remember, we brothers were clasping one another, next to the clouds that allowed an angel to pass into the human realm. Each of us stood up, the wounds still burning. I can't remember many times that I've felt like that, on the edge of despair, prepared to simply accept my fate, and someone pulled me away from it. But at that moment, nobody could, or would. Lucifer was too preoccupied cursing the existence of the Ordinators, and all others gathered about the scene seemed quite glad to merely throw their own insults right back at us.

Michael held his sword up, prepared to deal the final blow and strike us into off the clouds, when the Ordinators, wearing veiled hoods now, stopped him. As usual, they spoke together in perfect unison. "Stay thy hand a moment, Michael...Give the blade to Avankiri. We've a deal for him."

My one good eye opened, the other too covered by blood to be opened without a stinging pain. Michael hauled me to my feet with one arm, and gave me his sword. Looking from it to the Ordinators, I was most definitely dumbstruck. The Ordinators chuckled, in unison once more. "To put it bluntly, you may either destroy your brother and stay here, or you can go with him into the Pit of Hell...The choice is yours."

I wish I could say I didn't feel angry with them at that moment. Save myself, or damn us both. Quite an ultimatum for some. A powerful one in its own right for me. I looked to the Ordinators, then at Lucifer, who stood up defiantly. "You can't do this...I won't do this." Though I said these things, I could not let go of the blade. If anything, I gripped it only tighter, and faced Lucifer. He stared at me for a long moment that felt like an eternity. Finally, we each closed our eyes, and I raised the sword in hand. Again, a long pause, until I dropped the sword, shaking my head and kneeling down. "I can't do it. I won't..." Standing up, I faced the crowd, backing up against Lucifer and spreading my arms wide as if I may fly away. "I won't let you hurt him..."

Michael picked up the blade, then swung it hard, slashing across both of us in one massive hit. In pain, I stepped back, bumping Lucifer and knocking him down. When I turned, it was too late. He rolled away, off the clouds and toward the Earth.

I don't remember much of what happened next, other than the feeling of my feet moving, my body acting on its own. And then, I felt it. My mind and soul became free. I was no longer under the control of the Ordinators. But this had come at a terrible cost...As I dove, I thought back to those long days of childhood; watching Lucifer sleep as a baby, having to hold him for the first time while Mother reached for his favorite toy, talking about the pretty angel girls during our teen years, and even some of their mothers as well...What fun we had, and now it had come to this.

Lucifer had fallen, and I with him. I reached out my hand, and he reached out his. We gripped them together, and I pulled him to me, wrapping my arms around the lad and turning us over in the air as we fell, the wind rushing past us. It felt like any moment now would be the end of us. In a few short minutes, we struck the ground, with myself using my body as a shield for Lucifer.

I know now that he survived, whilst I did not. I know now that I was a foolish person, to even try to find a cure for him. I know now that I am the world's worst brother. I sent Lucifer to the lion's den, and he came back stronger than ever...I know now that I lost my innocence on that fateful day, many aeons ago...

This is only the first 3 chapters plus the prologue, for a series of novels I plan to write. Honestly, I don't know how far I'll get, but I do hope to make it as far as possible. So what do you think so far?
Back to top Go down

The Amaranth Chronicles Book 1: Avan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Path Less Traveled :: Role-Playing :: The End :: Archives :: Critique-
Jump to: