The Path Less Traveled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Empty
PostSubject: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:12 pm

A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Vampire-girl

Today was the day. He finally got approved. Everything was going to change for the better. No longer would he be alone in this house. No more empyt and hollow sounds. There would be someone else to care for besides himself. He had always dreamed about having a child even though he could never have his own. Adoption was the answer and after weeks of waiting and waiting for the agency to approve him he was going to adopt a child. It didn't matter what race or gender. He hoped to get a young child so he could raise them but he wouldn't know until he actually got there.

Jason jumped into the shower and let the warm water splash against his skin and dark black hair that now plastered itself against his face. He washed away any grime and sleep that was left on him before he walked out of the shower and dried himself. He combed his hair back and away from his jade green eyes and pulled on a nice grey long sleeved shirt and pants. He ran into the kitchen and started the coffee maker and took in the warm scent as it dripped in its perfection. Once the coffee finished he gulped it down with little cinnamon creamer and left it in the sink. He wanted to get to the agency as fast as he could. He couldn't wait to pick up his child. His child. That one thought brought a smile to his lips.

He hoped into his blue Honda and drove the few blocks to the adoption house. He walked in and waited for his turn into the rooms to find the perfect child. It was a little sad. Children were being paid for like stray dogs or merchandise. There was always a negative connotation to things like that but he couldn't let little details war around his mind and turn his jubilant mood into a sour one. Once the receptionist came to him, he stood and smiled at her.

"Good morning. My name is Jason Sky," he said smoothly and extended his hand out the gorgeous woman.

She gave him a smile in turn and took his hand. "Good morning Mr. Sky. My name is Ann and we have been expecting you. Right this way." She turned from him and walked to a door. "Is there a child you had in mind? Hair color? Eye color? Gender?" she began to question.

"No. Not really. I hoped that I could just see the children and decide then."

"You can." She opened the door and let him inside.

The walls were full of drawings of puppies, people playing together and animated animals. Even cartoon characters on some sections. Little children about the age of five were running around playing with calculated actions. They knew he was here to choose one of them and they wanted to be taken away. Such a sad thing. There were older children in the room as well. Most of them weren't doing much.
Back to top Go down
https://pathlesstraveled.forumotion.com
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Devon sat in the corner as she usually did. It was her corner of the room. None of the other children ever found that corner interesting, and it wasn't. Just enough light hit that corner for someone to read or write by, leaving the area in a shadow. Devon was fine with this as she sat there with scraps of paper, drawing cartoons to whittle her time away. It was a pitiful existence, she thought blandly to herself as she added another line to a cartoon character's hair, but so was being an orphan in the first place.

She didn't know why her parents hadn't wanted her. She remembered the discussions, often loud and tearful, when she was younger. Complaints about restrictions on time, money, this, that, and the other thing. Devon hadn't understood it then, and now that the memories were so faded, she wouldn't have the chance to really piece it all together anyway. All that mattered was one thing: she had been given up. Some parents. She almost envied the kids whose parents were just gone; at least that meant that they weren't there by someone else's choice, left so that more adults could come in and pick and choose from them like they were pieces of meat.

Devon sighed. When the door opened, and a man walked in with one of the women from the agency, she barely spared them a glance. She didn't have a chance. She hadn't in all the other several dozen adoptions over the years. Adults were all so picky. They wanted a boy with this eye color and of this race and he had to be this tall . . . They only ever wanted the exotic children. Devon wasn't exotic. She was a plain girl, barely a teenager; pale skin, dark brown hair, bangs that hung in her hazel eyes, boring square glasses, and a little short in height to top it all off.

And this man wouldn't be any different. He'd probably want a boy, so they could do "manly" things together or something, Devon didn't really care. She didn't trouble herself with it. She kept her eyes on her sketches, not bothering to watch the man. Looking at the adults who came in always gave her that tiny little bit of hope in her stomach, and she wasn't going to give herself the opportunity to have her hope crushed down again.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:48 pm

The woman prattled on and on about the different kinds of children they had... the ages... the colors... it felt like he was trying to adopt a puppy. Was there really any difference? You had to take care of both. The one exception was humans could talk and walk on hind legs. Why did he always have to compare humans to animals? He knew they were animals, but it didn't make it sound any less strange. He ignored the perky woman by his side and scanned the room full of children. The older children were the only ones who had given up hope. They didn't even turn to him. He already felt guilty for them. No matter what species, the older something got, the fewer chances you had of being taken in.

He glanced down at the younger children once more but his attention had already been drawn to the elders of the group. He weaved around the children as best as he could. Some tried to cling to him and beg him to take them home. He couldn't look at them. He couldn't adopt them all. He wished the adoption agency at least took care of the children more. They were human after all. He scanned the children sitting at tables and drawing or talking in murmured tones. Some were even starring at the wall hating their lives. He swallowed hard and his eyes caught on one child in particular.

She wasn't anything special on the outside, but there was something different about her. She looked plain but maybe with more effort she could have been quite beautiful. Her brown hair accented her hazel eyes that looked more like hard coco. Maybe if she had a home those eyes would warm. She was drawing. The sketch showed the girl's fiery spirit. She may have been ordinary on the outside but it was clear she had intellect and talent in at least one subject. He walked towards her and lightly tapped her on the shoulder and produced a genuine smile.

"Hello there. My name is Jason. What is your name?" he asked and sat down beside her.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Devon was just waiting for the man to leave, and was focused so much on her drawing that she didn't notice him walking over. All she wanted was for the clamor to stop, for the little kids to be quiet and quit begging, because that hadn't ever worked before. She had tried in her earliest years and only ever gotten a pat on the head for it. They would learn soon enough, if they weren't lucky enough to be adopted beforehand.

She jumped a little when she felt him tap on her shoulder. Instinctively, she turned to look at him, but dropped her gaze back to the table almost immediately thereafter. "Devon," she muttered when inquired about her name, keeping her eyes down on the table.

Although she didn't sound interested, Devon's stomach erupted in a storm of butterflies. Adults normally ignored any of the kids they didn't find interesting. The fact that this one --Jason, she thought he said-- was asking her name was a huge step in a positive direction. As soon as she caught herself thinking this, though, Devon forced the hopefulness back down. It wasn't good to let herself jump ahead when there was still the very real possibility he would lose interest and move on to a different kid.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 pm

He took note of her answer and grinned. Devon. Even that was a cool name. He hadn't heard of many people with that name before. "Devon huh? That is a pretty cool name. Honest," he answered her and leaned back against the table. He looked down at her drawing with appraising eyes. He was no artist. He couldn't pretend he was a critic of such things. He couldn't draw even to save his life. He was a tech person and he liked it that way.

"That is pretty good. I can't even draw half of that. Mine would probably look like a random scribble of lines. I always wondered what artistic people such as yourself saw in objects... to make something so beautiful on paper to rival that and surpass the actual thing you are preserving. Maybe you can teach me that." he suggested. He had made up his mind without realizing it. She was interesting and he was already attached to her and they hadn't even spoken for too long. He hoped he was making the right decision.

He nudged her arm in a friendly manner and couldn't stop the smile that only spread to his eyes. "What would you say if I said I wanted to adopt you?" he asked and studied her face. That would be the first indicator to him that she was either pleased by the prospect or completely outraged. If she didn't want to be adopted by him he would be a little sad, but at least he would give the opportunity to someone else who wanted to be adopted. He still hoped that she would be flattered and say yes.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Devon subconsciously drew her hand over her sketches. She didn't understand why Jason was so interested in them. The compliments made her blush and look off. While the other kids sometimes thought it was "cool" that she drew, none of them seemed to have the same insight on her work as Jason did. It was actually a little refreshing to find someone else who took a genuine interest in it--not that she would say it out loud, of course.

When he brought up the subject of adoption, though, Devon's mind drew a long blank. It almost seemed like time stopped for a minute or so as she attempted to figure out how to react. She wasn't even sure if she'd heard him correctly. Maybe he was talking about something else? No, that didn't make any sense, he had just asked her plainly if she wanted to be adopted.

"I . . ." She tried to speak, stopped, rethought her sentence, and made another attempt. "That would be . . . great. I guess." It was hard to contain a sudden burst of excitement, and in doing so she made herself sound nearly uninterested at all. She was trying as hard as she could to hold back a smile, and failing utterly. With the solid idea that somebody really wanted to adopt her for once, not being at least a little happy was impossible.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Jason noticed the shock and then the struggle to contain a smile. She was excited about the prospect, but she was trying to contain her excitement. Why was she trying to hide it? Why did she want to come off uninterested? He would find out once they were settled at home in a more friendly and comfortable environment. All the cartoon images did little to actually give a comforting feel. He wondered why people thought it was so calming. Those images would just becoming something the children hated since it was something they came from that harbored so much hate and abandonment. A nice calming color would do best.

"I will tell you upfront that I don't really have a lot of experience in taking care of children-especially girls. I hope that we can help each other out. We can talk about things, try to do activities together but if you want me to butt out of things, I can do that to. I want to be more than just a parent. I want to be a friend to you as well. That doesn't mean I won’t be a parent on some things. Okay?" he explained and wondered if he sounded like an idiot. Maybe he should have saved this little speech for when they weren't around other children and adults. He could feel their eyes on them.

Jason stood up and straightened his cloths which were already straight but out of habit. He turned towards her and extended a hand to help her up. "I am sure we will make a great family and team. You'll like it at my house. I promise." He looked to the side to see where the perky receptionist was to find that she was only a little ways away and waiting for him. She seemed bored out of her mind. When she realized he had chosen and was done, she put up a fake smile and started to usher them out of the room.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Devon gave a meek little nod and stood up, choosing not to let Jason help her up. She disliked physical contact as a general rule, but it was going to take awhile before she could trust him that well at all. She picked up the pages she was drawing on and held them to her chest, choosing not to fold them up in her pocket. This also gave her the chance to look down at the floor as she followed behind Jason and the receptionist, avoiding the gazes of the other kids and hiding the smile that had, despite her attempts, spread across her face.

It was hard to believe. Rare were the children who were adopted once they reached the age of maybe twelve years or so. Devon had reached the point where she was sure she would be stuck there until she was eighteen, at which point they would have just turned her out and told her to fend for herself because she was an adult. It wasn't a promising future.

But that was over with now. She didn't have to think about that anymore. Devon could feel joy-derived tears starting to well in her eyes, but she quickly blinked them back before anybody could see. The thought of finally having a real home, with someone who might actually care a little, was overwhelming. The ones who ran the adoption center might have described her as one of the most individual children they had, but it didn't stop her from being happy to finally leave.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 pm

The receptionist took them back out into the waiting hall and told them to sit down while she got the adoption papers out of the folder. She had to admit that she was surprised Jason had picked her out of all the children they had up for adoption. She was older than most of the other kids there and she was so quite and fended for herself and didn't like interaction. Why in God's name had he chosen such a kid for his first adoption? He never had a child before and he was already grabbing one who had hit puberty? That was a puzzle but she didn't much care. It was his life to screw.

She finally found her file and the adoption papers and scurried over and handed it to him. He opened the file and took out a pen from his pocket. He read through the application and wrote down information that he had to fill out before he read over what they had to say about Devon. The poor girl seemed more alone than he had realized. She didn't have any friends here. She didn't relate to anyone and he knew that solitude was bliss sometimes, but it could drive someone up the wall if they were always kept in isolation and away from everyone else. He just wanted to hug her and tell her she wasn't alone anymore but that might scare her.

Once the application was complete, he handed it back to the receptionist and after a long pause of file work and computer checking they were finally released from the place that began to look more like a form of a prison. Jason turned to her and gave her a smile and a nod and led her out into the bright and warm morning air. He took in a deep breath and enjoyed the fresh air momentarily before he walked over to his car and opened the door for her. Once they were settled inside, he started to ask her questions.

"So tell me about yourself. Besides, art, what do you like? What kind of food do you like? What's your favorite color? I was thinking maybe we could paint your room if you want," he was desperate to form a bond with her. He didn't want her hating him like most teenagers did their parents.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Devon kept quiet throughout the legal processes, still trying to sort out her thoughts about everything that was happening. The initial burst of excitement was beginning to wear off just enough for nervousness to creep in. Jason seemed nice enough, but she wasn't sure yet, and she could only hope that he would continue the kind streak past his first impression. She knew better than to judge someone solely on the first five minutes of knowing them.

Once settled in the car, Devon had to pause for a minute to think of how to answer all of Jason's questions. She turned her drawings over in her lap and looked down at them. "Um . . . well, I like writing and reading, but they never really had any books," she said slowly. "And I guess green's my favorite color . . ." She rubbed her finger over a speck on the back of one of the papers, mentally cursing herself for being unable to talk with another human being.

It was strange, actually, really trying to talk with somebody else. Nobody took much interest in her, usually, and she was generally happy with it. The same way nobody found her that interesting, she didn't like most other people, either. It was easier to keep to herself.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:38 pm

Jason nodded a little but didn’t turn to look at her since he was now focused on driving. He needed to tell her about himself to. So far he was the asking questions and he knew more about her. Having a relationship required sharing. He never really did that since most considered him a nerd, which he probably was, and that he worked from home. He didn’t have much social interaction himself. Maybe that is why he didn't have a girl by his side yet. His friends in high school always teased him about that.

"Let's see... I am a computer programmer. From home I can program any computer and I am kinda like the geek squad only from home. Blue is my favorite color. Beside electronics and taking things apart, I guess I like to just... sit and observe things really. I could go to a park and sit on the grass for hours just contemplating things. Sounds a little boring but since your an artist I am sure you look at a canvas for hours trying to capture every detail and meaning in w hat you are portraying, right?" he said. He glanced quickly at her through his mirror and wished he was better at this. It seemed they had quite a bit in common.

"So do you like the idea of painting your room green? A nice shade of green is very calming. It would be soothing to have a room that color. Heck maybe we can paint the whole house green. What do you think to that?" he asked grinning a little. He had always wanted to do something to the house but he never had the excuse to do it. Now he had a little more motivation to get off his ass and do something besides sit in front of a computer screen all day.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Devon couldn't help smiling a little bit in amusement. "You don't have to do that much," she said quietly. "The room would probably be enough . . ." She had to admit to herself, though, the offer was a little nice, and more than she had expected. It was going to be difficult adjusting to actually having leeway where she lived. The adoption center didn't give a lot of options simply because they couldn't afford it; she was probably lucky to even be wearing a pair of actual jeans at the moment instead of something more uniform.

She continued staring down at the papers for awhile, unsure of what she was expected to say. She couldn't think of any questions to ask him, but the silence in itself was a bit stifling. She felt odd just being in his car--even though he was now her legal guardian. Devon caught herself thinking this and mentally berated herself. She was going to have to get used to the idea of treating him like a father.

Still, that was a hard thought to swallow, too. She wondered how much this would actually affect her life. She didn't really know what it was like to have real parents with different house rules and all. Sure, the center had had a good number of restrictions, but those were just blanket rules, nothing like how a parent would run anything. This would be different.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm

"How about this then: We start with your room. Then, if we decide to do the whole house, we'll do it. We don't have to do it all at once. That is kind of daunting, isn't it? One room at a time." After the comment it was quite. It was an awkward silence and he didn't know how to break it. He was going to have to get used to the fact that he had a daughter now. He wondered what kind of things she liked to do besides painting. He didn't know what to do with her. Did she like amusement parks or was she too old for that kind of thing? He still liked going to them on occasion.

"Do you like amusement parks? Have you even been to one before?" he asked and started to slow the car. They were right in front of the house now. He pulled into the driveway and parked the car. He cut the ignition and got out of the car. He closed his door and opened hers for her and grinned. "This is your new home. You can live here as long as you like and when you decide to move out. One rule to start us off: No boyfriends please. I don't think I could handle that" he joked. It probably wasn't funny, but he said it anyway.

Then an idea struck him. "Oh! Girls like to go shopping. You probably didn't have a chance to do that when you at the orphanage. Do you want to go shopping? I have some money that I can spend on you to get whatever you want. New clothes, toys, well maybe not toys if you don't want but you can get anything you want as long as I can afford it," he explained and held the door open. They might be going back into the car if she decided to go shopping.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Devon found herself momentarily overwhelmed. There he went, asking questions again, and all focused on what she wanted to do. Did he always show so much concern for everyone, or was he making an extra attempt for his kid? It was hard to think about anyone going an extra mile for her at all, and while she secretly appreciated it, she had a problem with having the attention on her.

"I . . . actually don't know," she said slowly, gathering up her papers. She shuffled them into another neat pile. "I haven't done a lot of this stuff, so I really don't know what to think of it at all. Never been shopping or to amusement parks or anything like that, so . . . I don't know." She added a slight smile and added, "But I don't think you have to worry about the boyfriend thing. That's not really my interest."

She ran a hand back through one side of her bangs and slowly climbed out of the car. While maybe doing some other things would be fun later, right now she just wanted to adjust a little. A new house, new parental figure . . . a new life overall. It made her mind reel just thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Jason bit his lip as he contemplated the actions he should take. He complicated things that should have been so simple! Sure, he could solve the worst problem and virus in a computer but he couldn't make tails end of something so simple in the real world. He needed to get a social life some time soon. His mom always told him to read someone's faces and reactions to see the true emotion there but sometimes those little lessons slipped his mind.

He closed the door with a slam and with a flicker of lights the car locked from the automatic keychain. "That's fine. I shouldn't have just assumed. I am really bad at this," he tried to joke and stuck his tongue out in an effort to make her at least chuckle. He should have realized beforehand that she just might want to settle in for a while. This was after all, a huge change for the poor girl. Something she shouldn't have to go through anyway. He put a light hand on her shoulder to guide her towards her new home gently.

"Well I guess you can just relax for the day then. That is always a great thing to do. Calm your nerves and get rid of tension. I do that a lot. As for the boy thing, I am sure you will eventually find them interesting and by that time, I will hopefully have the cliché pistol handy by the door." He gave her another easy smile and opened his front door and ushered her inside. It was neat and orderly. Everything had its place and he made it a habit to keep it that way. Otherwise he would be living in one huge pig stale like some of his friends. "If you need anything, I am probably going to be on my computer. If I have headphones on and speaking to someone, just tap me and I'll put my customer on hold for a bit."
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Relieved that, at least for a short while, she wouldn't be pressured into anything else, Devon allowed herself to relax slightly. She looked around the neat house, silently happy that it was so clean. Something else she had disliked about the adoption center was the tendency of younger children to be messy. While she didn't mind a little clutter, the messes they could make were usually unbearable. Jason seemed to be the opposite, which she appreciated.

"Alright," she said absently to what he was saying. She didn't know exactly what Jason would be doing at his computer that involved customers, but she dismissed it. Probably something technical that was beyond her knowledge. She wound up hoping that she wouldn't find some excuse to bother him, though, not wanting to be a burden at all.

She took a few steps off, looking further into the house. It made her feel small. It was all unfamiliar to her, and it felt like she was intruding upon someone else's territory. It just wouldn't quite register in her head that she now had every right to be here. That would come with time--she hoped.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:51 pm

For a moment Jason was at a loss as to what to stay and do. He should have prepaired more for this change. What was he supposed to ask? All those books he read on child care did not come to his mind. He couldn't remember any detail. He needed to get used to the fact that he know had a child to take care of and nurture. He probably had to nurture her more since she had been abandoned and unwanted by others. He cleared his throat to try and buy himslef a little time in which to think of a response.

"Well.... I could show you to your room. Or you can pick one. There are two bedrooms unoccupied at the moment. Whichever room you don't use will be the guest room. Or maybe we can convert it into a studio or something. We'll decide that later. Oh, are you hungry? I could cook you something to eat. What would you like?" he asked and wandered into his marble kitchen. Like the rest of the house it was neat and organized. No dishes were left out and the sink was sparkling clean.

Jason walked over to the black fridge and opened up the doors and started to name some of the things he had to offer her. "Chicken, pizza, waffles, steak... if you are vegetarian I could make you a salad. I could also buy you some fast food but don't expect that every day. That isn't healthy and I don't encourage too much of it."
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Devon found herself absently trailing after Jason. She didn't know what else to do at that point. Wandering around the house on her own just felt awkward. But of course, there he went again making every offer conceivable, while Devon had no idea what she was supposed to do or say. She almost wished he would stop.

"It's okay. Really," she said, awkwardly folding her arms across her chest. "I'm not really hungry right now. I just kinda . . . want to get used to everything, y'know?" She left it at that, thinking to ask him to stop making offers would come across as rude. That was the last impression she wanted to make.

She looked around the kitchen, again surprised by how clean everything seemed to be. She was starting to become afraid of even walking on the floor by this point. Or touching anything. This notion, though ridiculous, somehow added onto the already-present stress, and she bit the inside of her lip.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Jason stopped walking. He flushed at her comment and sighed. He was probably making her feel uncomfortable. He hadn't wanted that. He rubbed the back of his head and bit his lip. He glanced at her wondering what she could possibly be thinking about him at this point. Was he coming off too dotting? To obsessed? He needed to take a chill pill and relax. If she wanted something, she would ask him, right?

"Sorry. I won't force you into anything and I guess I should leave you alone now and... and adjust. I am new to this as well, so give me a chance and I promise I'll be a good dad. I just have to learn. We'll learn together, right? Sorry, I should probably shu up now. Again, if you need anything, just call me and I'll help you." He stood before her for a few moments before he decided it was time to go back to work. He had put it off that morning.

"I will be in my room." He walked away from her and went to his bedroom which encompassed his computer spread out on two desks. He sat down on his chair and started it up. He hooked on his headphones and was soon logged into his computer at the office. Within seconds, a call came through and it was time for work. He answered the call and his hands flew over the keys as he helped the woman fix her computer.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Devon decided to say nothing to reassure Jason he was okay. It was better to keep quiet, she thought. She went off to tentatively wander through the rest of the house, thinking she should familiarize herself with the place as soon as she could. She found herself almost walking on tiptoe, not wanting to disturb anything in the house--regardless of whether she could lay claim to part of it or not.

She wandered out of the kitchen toward the back of the house to look at the empty bedrooms. She checked out one, then the other, seeing no significant difference between the two. In the second she paused to look out the window. She guessed, judging by the late-morning sun's direction, that the window faced toward the sunrise. She contemplated whether that would make any difference in her choice. Waking up to the sunrise every morning sounded both pleasant and dissatisfying.

As she stared out the window, elbows propped on the windowsill, she drifted back into thought again. She vaguely missed the adoption center, but not for any good reason. It was such a change from the center to a real home that she almost missed the simplicity. At the same time, though, she knew she would eventually get used to it, and she wouldn't go back no matter what. She'd just hoped that adoption would be a little less . . . unsettling. It was hard to think of Jason ever being a father figure as well. He was nice and all, but she barely knew him. Hopefully acceptance of that would come with time as well.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Once Jason's work hours were over, he hung his head phones up and gave a sigh. He rubbed his eyes from the strain. He felt so exhausted. Some people should never ever buy a computer. They didn't know the first thing about them! If they wanted a computer, they should have at least taken some basic lessons. He understood helping those who were a little slow at it. Not everyone was a computer whiz, but it still bothered him a little. He lay back in his chair and glanced at the clock. It read 4:39 P.M. He needed to make some late lunch. He forgot to make food!

Then he remembered he didn't have just himself to feed. He couldn't neglect his new daughter! He got out of the chair and went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. What was he going to make? He didn't know what she liked and didn't like. She wasn't sure either. He groaned and finally settled on something a little cliché. Spaghetti and meatballs. How could he go wrong with that? He pulled out the pot and the pasta and started to get the water to boil.

While he was waiting he went to her room and gave a small knock. "I am making spaghetti and meatballs. You are hungry right?" he asked. Why did he ask that? Of course she would be hungry! It had been hours since they left the orphanage. He didn't want her to think ill of him. He needed to set up times for the meals of the day so there would at least be some consistency.
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Devon amused herself for a few hours sitting against the wall, doodling again on the pages she had brought home. Normally, one wouldn't expect a young girl to be amused by the same thing for hours. However, time spent at the adoption center meant that one method of entertainment was generally pretty good. She wasn't picky. Besides, she felt no desire to ask Jason for anything. As always, she didn't want to bother anybody else.

She looked up at the unexpected intrusion, subconsciously turning over her pages again. She had lost all track of time herself. "Um . . . well, kinda, yeah," she answered him at length. In all actuality, her stomach had been growling in protest for about an hour, but she had ignored it. Again, she hated to ask for anything in a house that just didn't feel like hers.

Figuring that her response was good enough, and hoping no more questions would be asked, Devon returned to her doodles. She was torn between wanting to be left alone and just wanting to adjust to everything. The feelings didn't go too well together even though she knew she'd move past it eventually. She gave a mental sigh, wondering if everyone had this much difficulty with adjusting or if she was just the strange one.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 2:03 pm

ONE YEAR LATER

Jason and Devon got close as time passed by. By the end of the first year, they truly were like father and daughter and most couldn't believe they weren't related. Jason took her out shopping, took her to theaters, art museums, and was even planning on funding her art career. He had taken her to art classes and her talent was quickly beginning to be sharpened. Everything seemed to be going just great. They didn't argue, and they hardly had anything to fight over. They had what seemed to be a perfect mutual agreement.

Things began to change however...

It began on a relatively warm and rainy Friday evening. Jason had gone out that night with a couple of friends for the sake of a good time at a new bar that had opened up. He had let Devon spend the night at friend's place so she wouldn't be alone. At first, Jason didn't have much fun. Social gatherings like this bored him a little. He loved being with his friends, but not getting drunk with them. That's when he met the stunning girl all the males in the club were drooling over. She stood an impressive 6'1 with beautiful curves and a lean body. Her crimson lips seemed so kissable and her dark green eyes alluring in their mystery. Dark curls bounced around her pale heart shaped face and cascaded over her shoulders. Even her breasts were perfect. Of course Jason stared. How could not stare at the angel?

She seemed to eye him as well but maybe that was just his imagination. Of course it had to be his imagination. Why would such a heavenly girl be interested him? He didn't have much to offer, yet she did waltz towards him. She gave a smile and caressed his cheek with cold yet elegant piano fingers with nails painted red. She gave him a wink before she began to mingle with the crowd once more. His friends nudged him forward with laughs of excitement and encouragement. He couldn't let the fox get away, could he?
Back to top Go down
Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 5:49 pm

As the year progressed, Devon quickly grew more accustomed to her new life. Jason's home was soon just as much hers, as she saw it, and Jason himself became more of a father figure to her. She got along with him better than she would have imagined getting along with anybody. She never tried to argue, or even did anything that might start an argument. She didn't even seem to have any of the stereotypical "rebellious teenager" traits as time advanced. She was perfectly happy to keep to herself, uninterested in any activities that could in the least bit get her in trouble.

As she was also exposed to more outside the adoption center, her interests also broadened. She held absolutely no interest in shopping, clothes, or boys, but found herself intrigued by new authors, risk-taking activities (within good reason, of course; she knew not to do anything that would get her killed or otherwise) and, perhaps influenced by Jason, technology--most notably games. While she managed to get along well with a couple of kids her age, she was perfectly happy to pursue her own interests without interference from them.

Sitting in her friend's home this evening, though, she found herself bored. She lay over the edge of the bed, wondering vaguely what Jason was up to at the time. Her friend's ongoing gossip of what happened with other people failed to be of interest, and so she let her mind wander why keeping up the facade of actually listening. Devon couldn't help feeling a little proud of Jason for getting out of the house, but at the same time, she didn't see what was fun about a bar. Getting drunk with friends seemed . . . undignified and uninteresting.
Back to top Go down
Seer
Founder
Founder
Seer

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Another year had gone by since then and Jason had begun to go out regularly at night. He wouldn't admit it, but he actually liked the girl that he had met that one night at the bar. There was something about her that was just so intoxicating. He could never clear his mind of thoughts of her. All day he would think about her and wait in trepidation for night to fall. He knew he should pay less attention to a woman and more attention to his daughter, but the thought of having a lover was just too enticing a prize.

Tonight was one such night he had gone out to meet with his midnight lover. He found her name was Lorena and she was around his age. She liked electronics though she wasn't that good with them. She wasn't afraid to learn, and she seemed so interested in him. Another wonderful thing, she was an intellectual person. Jason thought things couldn't get any better. Maybe he could ask her to marry him. He would do that another time. Tonight he would just be with her.

They had met up as usual and gone to a movie after their little dinner. As usual, she hardly touched her food but he was too absorbed in her to notice. She was such a mind boggling beauty in and out. Then she had invited him to her house. That was something she hadn't done before. He was more than willing to abide her whim. He drove her home and was surprised to find it was mansion. She was rich. He followed her inside without a care. His daughter wasn't even on his mind. He only saw Lorena. If only he could have noticed the danger he was thrusting himself into.

Into the lion’s den he walked, hand in hand with the lioness hiding her canines. Her rose red lips fogged his mind and her beauty his only sun. She pulled him up to her candle lit room and tugged at his shirt. She leaned in close to him, nibbling on his ear and kissing his throat. All the more to tease your trapped fly. He kissed her in return and pulled her closer to him. She pushed him onto the bed and captured him under her. The trap had snapped shut, and yet he still had no clue of the danger.

She kissed him and turned his head away. She pulled open his shirt and nuzzled him tenderly. His body shivered and his mind was lost. Her fangs extended below her lips and she traced his jugular. With one last kiss, she pierced his throat and began to drink. Jason let out a cry of pain and surprise. His body tensed and he looked down as far as he could see to find blood seeping from his throat. His heart beat had gone into overdrive and he tried to push her away from him, but to no avail. She was much stronger than a weak little human. With each gulp of blood, his life was ebbing away and the slower and weaker his fight against her became to the point where he could hardly move against her. He was cold and numb. He wanted it all to just be over.

She pulled away and licked the excess blood before she looked him in the face with a smile and kissed his cheek. “You were a wonderful play thing. I had fun with you so I’ll spare you death. Open your mouth,” she whispered sweetly, but her voice was coated in death. He didn’t listen. He kept his mouth shut. “Open your mouth,” she said a little colder and again he refused. She lifted her hand up to his face and pulled his mouth open. She slit her wrist open and forced the blood to drip down his throat. He tried to move but he had no strength left for it. He felt the warm metallic liquid drip down his throat and tears swelled in his eyes. He hadn’t wanted this.

Within seconds, his body was being sliced with pain. He screamed out and his body tensed and twitched like he was having a seizure and in a way, he was. His body felt like he was on fire and there was no substance on Earth that could put the flame out. Tears streaked his face and his body would not respond to his commands. In the background he could hear Lorena laughing coldly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)   A Single Bite (Seer + Syl) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Single Bite (Seer + Syl)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Path Less Traveled :: Erased and Locked-
Jump to: