A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inCalendar
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Share | 

Everyone's a Critic!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shadows Fall
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Everyone's a Critic!   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, in this forum, I wanted to talk about music and movies; mainly album and film reviews.
So, here, you can talk about and write a review on a movie or album you like(d) or hate(d).

My topic of choice is the album Brand New Eyes by the pop-punk band Paramore.

Rating: 3 1/2:5
This album is the newest release from Paramore. The musical genius input in latter albums All We Know is Falling and Riot! returns in the newest installment of Paramore's career. The album offers more of the same inventive lyrical work and catchy riffs the band is known for.
While the album is enjoyabe, I feel that it doesn't show the band's full potential. The lyric work is far more bland and dull than in earlier albums. It certainly doesn't deliver the spunk that was in Riot! Moreover, the riffs just didn't seem to catch my attention. Sure, the album has songs you will become instantly hooked to, such as "Ignorance" and "Brick by Boring Brick", but even these songs don't compare to the catchyness and gripping power found in earlier songs such as "Emergency", "Crushcrushcrush", Let the Flames Begin", and "Whoa".
Brand New Eyes is an enjoyable album, but is definately not the best Paramore has to offer.
I wish the album were more like Riot! so that I might have enjoyed it more. Still, it's worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyro
Critic
Critic

PostSubject: UHF   Sat May 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Have you ever watched a movie and thought, why the hell did I do that? Most would admit to doing so with High School Musical. Especially as its cool to hate every factory created piece of the plastic 90 mins we'll never get back. Effron's a pillock an' all! But there is one movie I did that and couldn't help but laugh. You might say "Ah ha! Borat!". I would say "It was slightly better than I was expecting but there is an even better movie! And you've probably never heard of it". Then you might add "OK! Your a geek. The Super Mario Bros Movie?" "No!" I would reply, "Not that misguided train crash: UHF.". Feel free to fail to remember ever watching it.

Apparently, somewhere between the point of starting his war on (or maybe just ridicule of) popular music hits and not needing glasses anymore, Weird Al Yankovic made a surreal film about a failing TV channel. Weird Al plays George Newman who fails to hold down even simple jobs until he's given Channel 62 to take care of with his friend Bob. They've got to get the car-crash of a channel to break the surface and swim rather than go under. They have to do this while a rival channel tries to put them out of business.

For anyone who's heard his songs, you'll get the idea of the tone of this film. Its stupid, there are big, obvious visual gags but some of the bests ones come from what's being said. Characters seem to have come from outer space before coming out of some freakish woodwork. Its like a Weird Al song that lasts for 90 or so minuets. Brilliant! There's even a song! Right in the middle there's the song "Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies", a bunch of brilliant parodies of films and shows along with a catchphrase you'll want to repeat over and over.

"You get to drink from the FIRE HOSE!" and he's shot off the horse.

According to Wikipedia, this film was supposed to be the saviour of a little studio called Orion. Al kept talking about how well they treated him as a result, giving him strawberries when he woke up. The sad thing was that it failed to save Orion. Critics didn't like it and it was up against 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids', 'Lethal Weapon 2', 'Batman', and 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. Yikes! Bad timing...It lead to a rapid decline but the film is currently a cult classic! And like most cults: You had no idea it existed. Some Scandinavian's put the whole lot on YouTube somewhere. If I could see the entirety of PeeWee's Great Adventure then you should be able to see UHF I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's a Critic!   Sat May 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Because I am stupid/a Weird Al mini-fangirl, I really liked UHF.

It's over the top and silly and all, but hell, why not.

Mom and I sometimes yell "Wheel of Fish" at each other when it gets brought up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyro
Critic
Critic

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's a Critic!   Sun May 23, 2010 3:53 am

I love Ghandi II and the Rambo-spoof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psycho

Location : Your Mind, Your Heart, Your Soul. Infecting You - Cell, By Cell.

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's a Critic!   Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 pm

I used to write movie reviews for fun or whenever I got bored. I'm considering slapping them up here now. They'd need some rewrites, I'd imagine lol.

Now then, everyone in this thread go and watch the Matrix. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyro
Critic
Critic

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's a Critic!   Fri May 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Done that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everyone's a Critic!