A serious role-playing site that incorporates not only role-playing but poetry, literature discussions, creative writing, and art. Overall, a writing community.

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inCalendar
Welcome to The Path Less Traveled!
As a random challenge lets try and use our chat box which can be found on the bottom of the main page. Try logging in if you think your going to be on for any length of time. Thanks. ~ThePsy~
A Thanks to all our sponsors, affiliations, and general peoples who acknowledge our existence! Be sure to check them out if you have time, and remember to play nice! ~Dr. Random~

Share | 

Magus Potentae

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Narrel blushed and looked at the ground. She hadn't meant to give him a new nickname; it had just sort of slipped out. And then when this guy called her Taiju's girlfriend. . . she shook her head. It was all too much to take on so little sleep. She reached out a hand to greet Taiju's friend.
"I'm Narrel," she said with a friendly smile, "and this is C- um, Cisher." She didn't want to reveal Cal's real name until she knew this person better. Cal was well known throughout the country, and by now many rumors were probably flying about his disappearance. Better not to give anyone the temptation of turning him in.

Cal wrinkled his nose in distaste. He didn't know which bothered him more, the new name, or the 'misunderstanding' that Kalen had made about Narrel. Actually, he did. It was much worse that Kalen had mistaken her for Taiju's girl. He frowned, but held out his hand as well.
"Nice to meet you," he muttered.

"Feel like going back to camp now, 'Tai'?" Cal asked with a smile. "Some of us still have to take a watch tonight.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:19 pm

"I'm not even going to ask. Don't call me that." Taiju gave Cal a glare, clearly unamused by the nickname. "I never let him try out nicknames, it's not going to start with someone I've known for two days."

Kalen cheerfully shook Narrel's hand, then Cal's. "Well, I'm Kalen," he said with a happy smile, seeming unphased by Taiju's annoyance--or anything else, for that matter. "Obviously, Taiju and I have already met. I'm sure I'll get to know just what's going on sometime soon."

Taiju sighed and turned to go back to camp. "Maybe in awhile. Like after I get some proper sleep?" he suggested. He took off his glasses and began cleaning them on his shirt as he walked away. "Now that I know we're not being hunted . . ."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 am

Narrel laughed, but it was interrupted by a yawn. She made a face as she realized that she still had just over an hour left for her watch.
"Well then, let's all get back to sleep, okay?" Her comment obviously didn't include herself, for she went back to her tree and sat down.

Cal contemplated keeping her company, but decided against it. It would be his turn next after all, and he needed to squeeze in every bit of sleep he could get. He laid back down, and began struggling to find a comfortable position. Although it was unfair to blame the other boy for the dew on the ground, Cal glared at the back of Taiju's head. He had a tendency to get cranky without sleep.

Narrel watched the two remaining men, wondering what they would do. She selfishly wanted them to stay up with her, but Taiju already seemed to be half-asleep. She glanced at Kalen. How long would he be staying with them? She shrugged. It was really none of her business.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Taiju took his spot laying on the ground and once again took off his cloak for use as a blanket. All he wanted was sleep, yet he had a feeling that something else was going to interrupt it just to make him even more angry. It was the way of the world against him. Then again, perhaps he was just thinking that because he was tired. Taiju was normally a morning person and perfectly happy to get up at any hour of the day, but there had been too much today for him to feel the same.

"You should actually sleep too, Kalen," he said as he took off his glasses. "We have to move in the morning. I'll tell you everything then and I'll need some help, too."

Kalen made a face as he sat down. "But the nights are so amusing," he said wistfully, looking up to the stars. "But I suppose you're right. Don't know what you need my help with, but okay." He laid back in the grass, already making himself at home around the rest of the group.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Narrel spent the rest of her watch staring up at the stars. She felt like she should be taking this time to think about the future, and how to best take care of everyone. For now though, her mind had shut down. Luckily, it wasn't long before her watch was over. With a sigh of relief, she stood up and went over to Cal.

Cal groaned when he felt a gentle hand shaking him awake.
"Just five more minutes," he mumbled into the dirt. One big shake woke him up completely, and he sat up grumpily.
"Okay, okay. I'm up," he grumbled. He watched Narrel go and lie down with a bit of jealousy. With a sigh, he stood up and placed his cloak over the already-sleeping girl. It would be easier to stay awake if he was cold anyway. His watch went uneventfully, and the sun was coming up before he knew it.

With a jaw-cracking yawn, he stood up and stretched. He grinned as he realized that he would get to wake everyone up. That would be fun, at least. He grabbed a couple of sticks from around him, and began beating them together noisily.
"Alright everyone," he called, "time to get up and get going!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Unfortunately for Cal, he didn't get to wake everyone up. Taiju, it seemed, had already woken up and was gone. His things were still where he had been sleeping, however, so he couldn't have gone too far.

Kalen, however, was still fast asleep when Cal awoke. The yells, accompanied by the slapping of the sticks, sent him jolting awake. He bolted upright where he lay, looked around, then sighed. "Darn. I thought something was actually happening," he pouted, crossing his arms as if disappointed.

He looked around for a moment, as if having forgotten where he was. His eyes settled on Narrel, then Cal, then the empty space where Taiju had been in turn. He smiled in amusement. "Well. He still gets up early," he said approvingly. "That's no surprise."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Narrel sat up and wiped her eyes. She looked around, confused. Why was Cal making so much noise? Was something wrong? When she saw his face though, she realized he was just having fun. She stood up and stretched. Where was Taiju? His stuff was still on the ground, so he couldn't have left them. She shook her head. She couldn't even imagine waking up on her own after such a rough night.

Cal frowned when he saw Taiju's pallet empty on the ground. When had he snuck away. With a frown, he realized that if Taiju had snuck out on his watch, then someone could have snuck in. He would have to make sure to be more vigilant from now on.
Perhaps he could even enlist the help of some of the nocturnal animals. He hadn't used his Magus for real in so long that he wasn't sure what all he could to. He should trust in it though.

His stomach growled, and he looked down at it in surprise. Well, it had been a while since he had eaten. He hadn't thought to pack any food, and he didn't think that Narrel had either. He could only hope that Taiju had planned ahead better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Kalen yawned and finally pushed himself to his feet, dusted himself down, and ruffled his hair. The golden-red strands fell in a mess, and he smiled contently. Having neat hair was too much of a pain sometimes. Let it do what it would.

"So. Taiju should be back pretty soon if he's doing what I think he's doing," he said lightly. He leaned down and snatched up Taiju's bag off the ground and began digging through it, looking for something. "Which, unfortunately, does not involve looking for food at all. And apparently he has none." Again disappointed, he dropped the bag back on the ground and huffed. "Well then."

He looked around blankly, then looked over at Narrel and Cal. "So why are you guys out here anyway?" he asked in an attempt to strike conversation. "Taiju never traveled with anyone that I knew of and always told me he didn't like to. And neither of you look like you're very well-prepared for travel."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Cal and Narrel exchanged nervous glances. Neither of them were sure what to say. Narrel had already lied to Kalen once about Cal's name. She still didn't trust him enough to let him know that Cal was the missing prince. Did she trust him enough to let him know that she was an escaped Royal? What she really needed was to talk to Taiju alone. She needed to know what he knew about Kalen.

"We ran into some trouble in a city," she explained loosely. "And Taiju helped us get out without the guards catching us." There. that should do. It wasn't a lie, but it didn't threaten their safety either. Kalen would probably assume that they were fellow rouges who had ran into some hard luck.

Cal stood up, and wandered to the edge of the camp.
"I'm going to get us some food, okay?" he said. "I shouldn't be gone long." He stretched out his Magus, looking for a good prey. He felt a wild boar out a bit from camp, and took off after it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 pm

"I see." Kalen guessed that there was probably more to the story. Taiju wouldn't put himself at risk just to help a couple of random strangers, after all. He shrugged to himself. Taiju would tell him everything later, he was sure. He couldn't expect these two to trust him with everything immediately.

He cast a glance to the side and caught sight of Taiju returning. The other male was walking back from the direction of the river, pulling his shirt on over his head as he walked. He seemed unconcerned that nobody had known where was.

"So where were you?" Kalen asked cheerfully when Taiju stopped to pick up his cloak.

"Down by the river."

"Thought so." The explanation seemed to satisfy Kalen.

"Yeah." Taiju clasped his cloak around his throat, then gave Kalen a glare. "And stay out of my bag while I'm gone. I don't like it any more now than I did then, got it?"

Kalen whistled innocently and looked off as if he had done nothing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Cal chased the boar with a thrill of exhilaration. His human self was almost lost by the strength of the wolf he was borrowing from. He raced through the forest, the trees just a blur on either side of him. With one leap, he crashed into his prey at top speed. He wrestled with it for a bit before finally bringing it down. He lay down next to it's carcass to catch his breath. It had put up more of a fight than the deers that he usually hunted.

Narrel smiled as Taiju came back from whatever he had been doing by the river. She was kind of jealous of the relationship that he shared with Kalen. There was still so much she didn't know about her new friend. She stood up to greet him.
"Good morning, Tai," she said with a smile and a slight blush. "Oops. I mean - Taiju." She looked down at the ground, embarrassed at having slipped again.

She looked up as Cal came back from his hunting trip dragging a pig behind him. She looked away in disgust. She knew it was necessary, but she still didn't want to see the thing before it was skinned and cooked.
"Hey Taiju," he called, "Is there any way you can heat up water without fire? That'd probably be the safest way to cook breakfast."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 pm

"Don't worry about it," Taiju said dismissively to Narrel's apology. "And hi." He looked over to Cal, then gave a slight shrug. "I guess I could do that, if you know what you're doing with hot water."

"Soooo . . ." Kalen inched closer to Taiju, who leaned away. "When exactly are you going to tell me what you're doing with a girlfriend-"

"She is not-"

"And the kid? And explain our lovely history together? I'm sure they're just as curious." Kalen continued through Taiju's attempts to speak as if he hadn't heard. Taiju's expression of flat annoyance suggested he was used to this.

"Yeah, I'm sure they're just dying to know about my relationship with the guy we thought might kill us in the too-early hours of the morning. And who almost did kill me . . . break my spine." Taiju made a sour face; the idea of being killed by affection was not a pleasant one.

He ran a hand backward through his hair and sighed, looking over to Narrel. "It's alright for him to know," he said, certain she was worried about Kalen's curiosity. "What we're doing out here, I mean. He's trustworthy. I traveled with him for a few months a year or so ago and know him pretty well. He's a rogue too, if that helps, so it's fine."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

Narrel smiled and nodded, relieved.
"Well then, I have to apologize for not being very truthful with you."
"First of all," the prince broke in, "my name's Cal, not whatever she said earlier."
Narrel grimaced but nodded.

"I used to be a Royal," she admitted, "but Cal and I managed to escape. I had captured Tai earlier that week, but I helped him escape as well. I guess he felt like he owed us a favor, even though it was my fault he got captured in the first place." She looked down and scuffed her shoe in the dirt. "So, that's why he's helping us." she finished.

Cal nodded, and set his pig down near the edge of camp. He pulled out his hunting knife, and began skinning the beast. He didn't really know the best way to cook with water, but how hard could it be? After all, heat was heat, right? He had had a lot of practice preparing animals, and he had the meat ready to cook in a short time.
"All right Taiju," he said, "your turn."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:58 pm

"Yeah, that's pretty much the whole story. Now we're all on the run. Which means we have to eat quickly and get out of here before the king's hunting party sets back out." Taiju drew up some water from the ground and air and hesitated then, looking at Cal. "So any plans besides hot water? We're at a conspicuous lack of cooking utensils at this point in time."

"As for us," Kalen said, putting an arm around Taiju's shoulders while Taiju ignored him, "we did travel for a little while and all. I may as well have saved his life. He just likes to pretend otherwise. Y'know, pride and whatnot."

"Knock it off." Kalen drew back his arm, and Taiju gave a small sigh. "Yeah, shortly after I left home I found him. He helped me out when I was in a bit of trouble trying to keep up on my own," Taiju explained. "We were pretty good friends for awhile after that. Didn't think we'd run into each other again, though."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Narrel smiled at Taiju's anecdote. It was good to see that he had friends. She didn't know why she expected that he wouldn't. He was a friendly enough guy, after all. Maybe it was because he was a rouge. She shook her head. Now that she was one of them, she would have to stop believing all the stereotypes she had heard about rouges. All of them seemed to be incorrect anyway. They were really no different from everyone else she had met. Perhaps even a bit nicer, since they knew the pain of adversity.

Cal nodded. It was nice to know a little more about their new companion. He turned to Taiju.
"I know we don't really have anything to cook with, or even in. But we need to eat something." He was beginning to feel a bit foolish for rushing off to get the food. He shook his head. He had just done what he felt needed to be done. If they ended up leaving it behind, he could still make it look like a wild animal's kill.

"I can make a bowl of mud," Narrel put in. "I know it doesn't sound clean, but I bet I can make it solid if I put enough pressure on it." Cal smiled, relieved. "That'll work then. Taiju, you can put your water in that, right?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Taiju nodded. "I can work with that," he agreed. Then he looked over at Kalen. "So why aren't you being useful?"

Kalen shrugged. "I don't see how flowers are going to help you here," he said. "Don't blame me for my lack of usefulness."

"Well, I don't think you'll be totally useless, anyway." Taiju stifled a wide yawn behind his hand, then shook his head. "We need a place to stay until the entire thing blows over. Most likely no more than a few days. I was hoping that you would know of a rogue encampment or somewhere similar where we could hide."

Kalen grinned. "I know of a bunch of places," he replied proudly. "There's at least a couple places within a couple days of here. Heck, I think there's on that we could probably reach by the end of the day if we got going somewhat soon."

Taiju sighed in relief. "That's good to hear. Maybe we won't have to be on the road for as long as we thought," he said. To himself, he added a happier note that they wouldn't have to resort to going to his hometown to hide. It was a narrow miss to avoid his family--mostly his father.

Last edited by Syldoran on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Narrel smiled happily. Everything was working out so well now! As long as they were accepted into the camp, that is. After all, it was likely that she had arrested some of the people in the camp. Her smile melted away as she recalled just what she was running from. Would they understand? How could they possible forgive her for prosecuting them all this time. She sat down, and watched the meat slowly begin to brown.

Cal had no such worries. After all, most of the time he spent out of the palace was spent hunting. Although some people might not like his father, none of them should have problems with him personally. He inhaled deeply as the meat began to smell good. His mouth was watering by the time it was done.

Half way through the meal, Narrel looked up. She couldn't feel anything yet, but she could hear dogs baying in the distance. She heard Cal mutter an oath.
"We've got a little bit," she told her camp-mates. "They're not within Magus range yet. When they are though, we'll have to go. We don't want any surprises from the Royals."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Taiju looked back toward the sound of the dogs. "That's just what we need. We've probably stayed where we are for too long already," he muttered. "We'll have to hurry and go, even if they aren't within that range yet. The sooner we leave, the more distance we put between ourselves and them."

"Isn't someone in a hurry," Kalen observed, still focused more on his food than on any immediate danger. He knew he should be concerned, but Narrel was right. They weren't that close yet. There wasn't any real reason to worry yet.

"Somewhat. I like being a few steps ahead of people I don't want to be around. Besides, things rarely go as expected." Taiju took a quick glance around to make sure that everything of his was all ready to be taken.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Cal nodded.
"Taiju's right. We need to leave as soon as possible. If those dogs catch our scent, you won't believe how quickly they can move. And don't forget the Bestiae Magi. They'll be able to draw on the wolves around here as easily as I can. They could be on us in no time." He stood up, brushing the dirt from his pants.

Narrel followed suite.
"What do we do with the bones and things?" she asked, worried. Cal smiled, and pulled out his knife.
"I'll take care of that." He quickly got to work, expertly slicing select bones here and there. When he was done, it looked like the poor boar had been mauled. He made sure that no cuts were straight, so that they could not be seen as made by a knife.

"I think that's all I can do," he said quickly. "We can leave as soon as everything is packed up." He looked over his shoulder nervously. He was scared. He didn't want to return to his father. He couldn't afford to be captured. His father would have no pity just because they were related.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Taiju slung his bag over his shoulder and looked to the horses. He was about to mount his black mare when he realized something else. "Damn it, what are we doing for you?" he wondered aloud, looking back at Kalen. "We're one horse short for you to keep up with us . . ."

Kalen just shook his head. "You guys can go ahead," he replied. "I'll catch up. If you all go straight east, you'll be heading straight at the nearest camp. I should manage to cut ahead and find you guys before you get there, but if not, I'm sure you can find it. It's hidden around a forested area, so keep an eye out for that, and I'll try to get there before you."

Taiju seemed less confident. "Are you sure about that?" he asked slowly. "I don't want to just leave you behind . . ."

His friend chuckled. "Now look who's all worried for someone else! Don't. I'll be fine. They may not like me, but I haven't done anything to the kingdom. And that's only to worry about if they even catch me here--which they won't. You all get going and it'll all be fine later."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Cal watched the exchange with growing anxiety. Each moment they spent was another minute his father's hounds would be getting closer.
"Taiju might be right though," he said, wanting to get this over with. "If they even think you might have ran across us, they'll bring you in for questioning."

Narrel shivered. She had always tried her hardest to avoid the interogation rooms, so she didn't really know what happened in there. She just knew that their prisoners usually ended up needing a healing. She quickly mounted her horse, ready to leave whenever everyone was ready.

"Look," Cal said rapidly, "I'll use my Magus. I should be able to borrow enough power to keep up fairly well. And I'll be more agile than I would be on a horse. Then you could use my horse. Would that work?" He didn't really care anymore if Kalen went or stayed. He just wanted to get away from this place. He needed to run. He needed to feel safe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:46 pm

"Okay, we're doing that. Kalen, argue with me and I'll have to resort to violence. Got it?" Taiju swung up onto his horse. He was beginning to get anxious, too, though he was trying not to show it. He'd already been captured once, and he had no intention of letting it happen again, particularly with others involved.

Kalen sighed. "Alright, fine, we won't do the easy thing . . ." He moved over to Cal's horse and carefully mounted, looking uncomfortable being atop the mare's back. "You don't have to threaten me, you know."

"Sometimes I wonder. Are we all ready to go?" Taiju looked back at the others for confirmation that they could go. The sooner the better, and every second that passed made him increasingly uneasy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Cal reached out to the local pack once again. They loaned him power with a silent laugh. It had been a while since any Beastiae had come to them, they said. He thanked them, and crouched to run.
"Let's go," he said. His voice was little more than a guttural growl as he began to feel a part of the pack.

Narrel nodded. She was ready too. She kicked her horse gently to tell it to move. She heard the others follow suite.
"I think Kalen should take the lead," she said, "since he knows which way to go. I'll stay behind to dust away our footprints."

Although she knew that she wouldn't see anything, she looked behind them. She stretched her Magus out as far as it would go, but she couldn't feel anything unusual yet. Of course, it was always possible that they weren't walking on the ground. She shivered. She had never considered how horrible it was to be on the wrong side of a Magi.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Nonsense

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:45 pm

"I really should have considered my dislike for riding horses before agreeing to this," Kalen mused, looking down at his horse. He did as told and nudged her to walk ahead of the others, trying to appear braver than he was. It didn't work out incredibly well, but it was a valiant effort.

"Well, you wouldn't have a choice either way," Taiju replied. He looked back over his shoulder, half-expecting someone to be ready to attack already. He relaxed a little when the area was empty, relieved to be on the move. He regretted not waking them all up as soon as he had woken; it would have saved them some of the trouble.

Kalen made a face at Taiju, who just smirked a little in triumph. "You know what, I don't think I missed your sarcasm very much," Kalen pouted, hunching down in his horse's saddle. Taiju chuckled and shook his head.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savfantasy
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm

As Cal ran, he asked his wolf-brothers to help him canvas the area. They agreed, tongues lolling in silent laughter. They didn't usually get to hunt humans, and they were anticipating the thrill of it. They circled around behind the group, and began stalking the hunting party. They were closer than Cal had hoped they would be. At least none of them seemed to be Beastiae. There was no way for him to tell what other Magi might still be, though.

He circled in closer to the party, careful not to spook the horses.
"They're not as far behind as we had thought. We have maybe two hours on them," he reported. He began trotting next to Narrel, hoping to start a conversation. She seemed worried, though. He couldn't slow down to comfort her, so he would have to settle for words.
"It'll be okay," he said. "We're making pretty good time."

Narrel nodded. Although it was different to see Cal running so easily over the uneven ground, his words calmed her. He wouldn't lie for her. If he said they were doing alright, then she would have to believe him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magus Potentae   

Back to top Go down

Magus Potentae
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Path Less Traveled :: Role-Playing :: Intermediate :: One on One-
Jump to: